Little Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronin77

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ? Is, I've got some 1/4" size starfish I've noticed they eat my coralline algae. Does anyone know if these little guys are coral friendly? (Haven't noticed them eating any yet)

I can't really make out the pic. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha it's dead center with six arms. Yeah their just sand color with a little darker in the center area. Sorry the pic sucks

They generally do not eat corals. A story to clarify this-
I used to maintain a tank at a gym I was a member of. I started the tank from scratch and the asterina stars started multiplying. Model citizens the first 2 years or so. The asterina population was immense. Suddenly they got a taste for zoas. They were all over them and when I plucked them off there were little bite marks. I ended up eradicating them with a harlequin shrimp.
before this, I would have told you that they NEVER eat corals, but this strange happening makes me tell folks to just keep an eye on them.

They generally do not eat corals. A story to clarify this-
I used to maintain a tank at a gym I was a member of. I started the tank from scratch and the asterina stars started multiplying. Model citizens the first 2 years or so. The asterina population was immense. Suddenly they got a taste for zoas. They were all over them and when I plucked them off there were little bite marks. I ended up eradicating them with a harlequin shrimp.
before this, I would have told you that they NEVER eat corals, but this strange happening makes me tell folks to just keep an eye on them.

Thanks Mr. X very helpful as always. I started vacuuming them out whenever I see them during my PWC's. I figured I'd ask about them before getting to crazy with getting rid of them. Lol

I agree asterina stars. But mine definitely eat Coraline algae. Off rocks, off the back glass. Not a big deal really, but I pluck them out when I can.

I have those same shaped ones expect mines are white...I read up and saw something saying some are good some are bad. The ones that are typically found on the glass are good...but I have noticed any problems with them so for now I'll leave them...only saw two just yesterday.

Yes I have some too only they are white, are they coral friendly

image-2856398422.jpg

Asterina stars come in many shades, and all of them are mostly reef safe. They may never touch a coral for years and suddenly go carnivore on you. They are easy enough to eradicate if so.

Asterina stars come in many shades, and all of them are mostly reef safe. They may never touch a coral for years and suddenly go carnivore on you. They are easy enough to eradicate if so.

Thanks for your reply mr x I have noticed coralline on my live rock has been what looks like scraped off could the asterina be doing that?

Does anyone in this thread have any Asterina stars that they would be willing to give away or sell for a cheap price?

Back
Top Bottom