Live and base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what a good ratio is for live and base rock. Also can I add them at the same time? Does the base rock have to be cycled?

75% Base and 25% live is a good ratio. If you're referring to dry base rock it won't be cycled and you'll have to, that's what the LR is for.

And yes, you can add them at the same time

In a sense. Cured base rock essentially means it won't cause a cycle, because it already has the beneficial bacteria living in/on it. The bacteria that disposes of ammonia, which is produce by your tank inhabitants.

See, no matter what you get, base rock or uncured live rock, once you cycle your tank with whichever rock in it, once the cycle is completed, that rock will be CONSIDERED "live". What defines rock as "live" is the fact that it has beneficial bacteria growing on it. Not whether it has tons of little saltwater critters running all around it and through it. The life that comes on the rock from the ocean is something you get with cured live rock, or uncured live rock assuming something survives the cycle.

See, what i like to do, like mentioned by Corey above, is get mostly base rock, cycle the tank with that base rock, and then seed that base rock with some CURED live rock. This way, none of the critters on the cured live rock will die off because there's no cycle, and no ammonia to kill them.

Last edited:
So your saying that I should buy my base rock first, cycle the tank with it, and once cycled I put my good Lr in? Thanks for all the info btw

Yeah, that's how I do it, and how most people do it. They do that because like i said before, if you just throw your cured live rock in an un-cycled tank, you will get lots of die-off, since there's no bacteria to dispose of the ammonia being produced by the life in the live rock. That ammonia will cause a cycle, and the ammonia and nitrites will most likely kill almost everything living in the rock, save for the truly hardy specimens that will live through the cycle.

If you decide to put cured live rock in your cycled tank, most everything living on that live rock will keep on living. Meaning you get to see more critters pop up all over the place, which would have normally died off from the cycle if you just plopped your live rock in an uncycled tank.

Thanks, the lr here costs 6$ a lb so that saved me like 100ish$. That is why I love this app, I might have wasted about 300$ if I didn't read and post stuff on here. Thanks again.

Where would you recommend getting cured LR? I have base rock coming this week, and I will want to seed it with cured LR once it finishes cycling. And would you add both the cycled base rock and the cured LR to the main tank at the same time? I'm adding LR to my currently FO 16 gal tank.

If you buy locally you'll have better luck at a dedicated lfs. I'd travel a few extra miles to a lfs over a pet store. Call first and ask about price, type, sizes, etc.

That makes sense. I just haven't been impressed by the way the LR at any of my lfs has looked. I have heard good things about another store that is a little further away, so I'll have to go check that one out this week.

Does it matter if the LR isn't colorful? Should I really only be interested in how porous it is? I want to make sure I get really good stuff to seed the base rock. What should I be looking for in LR?

Definitely, the colors will come over time. Unless it's covered in cyano it should be fine. IMO the rock color doesn't matter because ideally it should be covered in cora eventually.

I think also that it shouldn't stink

Awesome, thanks! I feel a lot better about adding base rock and seeding it with LR now. I'll get the base in to cure as soon as it gets here, and when its cycle is finished I'll add the LR from my LFS and make sure it is all cycled before I add it to my tank. I'm excited about this!

I am making a list of what I still need to start up and I only have like 6 things! I am on my way to get the plumbing done today and also the pump so I can be done with my sump once and for all. The rest of the things will cost me about 200$ all together. I should be ready in a few months :D

Sounds like a legit price, around here at my LFS it's $2/lb but everything they have is a bit overpriced. Where are you looking? Because I know online they usually sell rock for less, from places like reefcleaners and marcos rocks that is

I am going to a fish store called wet pets, its a well known store ( its been in books) and they are overpriced but I know I can trust Them with all of their things. I will check online. Also, will I need to add an ammonia source if I add the base rock during cycling?

Are they base rocks you're thinking of sold submerged in saltwater? Because when I think of base rock I think of dead rock.

In my case yes, you will have to add an ammonia source.

In yours, probably not, the die-off from transportation will give you an ammonia source

I found what I think is a good deal on ocreef.com on what they say is "dried live rock". It says it is true Fiji live rock, it's just dried. I got 15 lbs for $25.99 + $9.99 shipping. That's about as good a deal as I had seen since I didn't have to buy a ton of it (my tank is only 16 gallons) and the shipping wasn't ridiculously expensive like most online stuff is. I'll let you know if it's any good. It will be here in a day or two, and I'll get it curing as soon as it gets here.

Back
Top Bottom