Live and Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking of starting my cycle on my aquarium in a month or so and I am running short on cash at the moment. My question is I will probably have enough money to buy 45 lbs live rock and 50 lbs base rock. Would this be enough to get my 125 gal tank started or should I wait til I can purchase about 100 lbs of each rock.

If that's your sole means of providing bio-filtration then it's not enough. Adding lr later can be a pain unless it's curred from your lfs already. Where are you getting your lr from?

probably drsfosterandsmith. I have ordered all my equipment from them and i am really happy with them but if you have any cheaper suggestions I would love to hear them. And is the 100 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs enough or could i buy more base rock and less live rock and would it all eventually turn to live rock. I am in no hurry to add livestock. I want my tank perfect before adding any fish, etc.

If in no hurry to add stock then get some rock now and some later if you just want something to look at.

I love the drs too and they average around $4 a lb shipped. You will have a mini-cycle again every time you add new lr but as long as there isn't stock it isn't an issue.

You could get away with 30% lr and 70% base IMO. It won't look as pretty but base rock will provide bio-filtration within a month or two and will still all "look" like the live rock within a year or two.

I got 22 pounds of LR from drs.fostersmith and was happy with what I got! I was expecting several smaller pieces, but got 2 huge pieces (one 9 pounder and one 13 pounder) but im thinking the bigger peices would be good for a tank the size of yours!

I bought 150Lbs of base for my 125G. You could just add the base, now and select LR as you find pieces that you like. I would add the cured LR after your cycle.

Alot of times it also depends on the size and weight of the LR. If your rock is very light then you`ll have enough probably for your tank . If it`s heavy and dense then most likely it will not be enough. When you purchace your Rock try to get the lighter rock that will provide you more surface area per pound.

Back
Top Bottom