Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhiy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question. I am starting my first SW tank. It is a 55g tank, I am receiving about 80-90lbs of uncured live rock. Do I add subrate in the tank while I cure the rock? What substrate should I use? And I do not have a protein skimmer, should I leave lights on and the carbon filter?

Leaving the lights on will just give you a massive algae farm. I wouldn't turn the lights on until the live rock is completely cured, the tank is cycled, and you do a big water change to get the nitrate down.

Use a fine sand, sugar grain size.

I would add the substrate when you add the rock. Make sure the rock sits on the glass and not just the substrate this way if fish dig in the sand the rockwork won't collapse.

You should get a protein skimmer.

Is a protein skimmer a must? If so what kind do u recommend? I'd prefer one that is not so expensive. And what is the difference with sand and crushed coral?

Is a protein skimmer a must? If so what kind do u recommend? I'd prefer one that is not so expensive. And what is the difference with sand and crushed coral?

Don't worry about a protein skimmer until you start to add corals/inverts, they'll need the more pristine water. This should be several months after your FOWLR tank has gotten established.

Reef Octopus is one of the most recommended brands of protein skimmers on this forum. As with almost every other piece of equipment in this market, "if you buy cheap, you'll get cheap".

Crushed coral is a lot bigger in size and will collect more waste, which is not good for your tank at all. Sand is much better and easier for a reef setup

Back
Top Bottom