Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppytank29

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question, i'm thinking of starting a 75gal saltwater and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put in uncured live rock in when i am cycling or should i just wait for it to cycle to put in cured rock? I don't know if i worded that right or not but just let me know what you think.

When you begin the cycle you can put in what ever even 100% lace rock

If you put uncured rock in during the cycle it will cure while you cycle. It can also contribute ammonia for the cycle as things die off.

I used 90% cured rock and when I started up. Checked my water every week by the fourth week my phosphate and nitrate was still real low so I still did my water change anyways. I got 10 snails and 10 hermits 3/4 the way through my first cycle and their still working lost a couple but that's to be expected sometimes. I put my first piece of coral in there Saturday after my water change and they also seem to be happy.

Steve silbernagel said:
I used 90% cured rock and when I started up. Checked my water every week by the fourth week my phosphate and nitrate was still real low so I still did my water change anyways. I got 10 snails and 10 hermits 3/4 the way through my first cycle and their still working lost a couple but that's to be expected sometimes. I put my first piece of coral in there Saturday after my water change and they also seem to be happy.

Often if you use cured rock to cycle (as long as it stayed wet transporting it home) you will have a very short cycle. I used cured rock in my tank and had no cycle.

What I did was when I got rock from my friends store we wrapped it in wet newspaper and bagged it. What also helped was when I started he gave me a styrofoam shipping cooler which really helped to keep it cool.

The styrofoam coolers are great. I keep one in my trunk for a LFS run or even bringing milk home from the grocery store.

This being said, since you are cycling your tank just toss the rock in. It won't hurt anything. Just remember the 1 lbs sand and 1 lbs rock per gallon is a good rule to live by.

Back
Top Bottom