Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guy554

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone:

I am in the process of getting a Saltwater aquarium going and set up. I found some live rock on Craigslist and was wondering if I could clean it and boil it so I could seed my own? I know I am able to seed dry rock and make it live rock. My main question is will it hurt anything to boil this rock I found and start over? Thanks your advice will be greatly appreciated.

DO NOT boil live rock. There may be some harmful things in the rock (zoas, even a trace left of them pose problems) of which you are unaware. Look up boiling live rock that had Zoanthids (zoas), and you'll understand the concern with boiling live rock. There are many other ways to start over with them.

I don't plan on setting the aquarium up for 6+ months. So what if I were to scrub the rock and let it dry out. Then I could reseed it. Or am I think about it the wrong way? I have time to do stuff with live rock, just trying to keep the cost down so I can spend more on the skimmer and lights.

I can get 120 lbs for $50 that's why I'm asking about it, way cheaper then buying dry.

Ohhhh okay, I understand. I suggest letting the rock "cook" outside in the sun for a long time.

Bleach it for 3 days, rinse good with water ( freshwater) then soak in freshwater with PRIME for 24hrs.
You are ready to cycle rock, but you will need to add ammonia cause you wont have any with dead matter in your LR to make ammonia

You could bleach it and rinse good or you could let it sit out in the sun and cure it in a tub or you could put it in the tank you want to setup and start your cycle. Fortunately you're working with a startup situation so you have options and time! If you were adding it to an established system you would want to cure it separately.

You could bleach it and rinse good or you could let it sit out in the sun and cure it in a tub or you could put it in the tank you want to setup and start your cycle. Fortunately you're working with a startup situation so you have options and time! If you were adding it to an established system you would want to cure it separately.

If you sit it out in the sun it will take maybe a good week to dry it.I
If you add it to cycle right away you can get unwanted pests and algae problems. On top of all that it will take you at least 6 weeks to cycle the dry LR

Thanks everyone, I got 150 lbs of live rock for $50. That works out to be $0.34 a pound

As of right now I am letting it sit in the sun. I am not ready for it yet but couldn't pass up a deal like that

Back
Top Bottom