Live Rock and base rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Once I add my base rock, I start my cycle...but, should I wait to add my lr until the cycle is complete or is it okay to add the lr right at the start of the cycle..If I add it later then I will hold of on ordering the LR, but if it doesnt matter ill go ahead and buy it....

I added my shrimp to start the cycle, two days later my baserock came in so i put that in, after two weeks i added my liverock, i did this so that my levels wouldnt be too high so not as much would die off from the LR including my hitchhickers. It doesnt really matter though, if you wait to add your LR you may go through another mini cycle, at least i did. If you have your baserock now, and everything else you need i would start it right now, then go ahead and order your LR, you can wait a little if you want. Maybe some other people cane recommend what they did. Good luck.

My base rock should be in this week once that comes in all i need to do is set up my sump and then start the cycle...once the cycle is started i will go ahead and order my LR once that is in Ill add it....does this seem reasonable? or should I go about doing it a different way :?: ? :?: ?

Also, I herd that a "In sump skimmer" is not necessary right away from many people, so can i start the cycle and have the cycle completed with my first two fish in it ? :fadein: and then buy the skimmer?? or would it be ideal to have it before the fish?

Thanks a lot :!:

looks good to me. the skimmer can also wait IMO. I would think before you do anything along the line of corals, which should be months away, you should def. have a skimmer by then.

yah once I get into corals...not for a while...but i do plan on haveing a skimmer long before then...its just that i would like to have the more important thing before the least... :mrgreen:

IMO get the LR now once its in the tank start cycle. Putting the LR in at the start will speed up your cycle. During the cycle your growing the bacteria necessary to breakdown ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. LR already has those bacteria so your speeding up the process.

Back
Top Bottom