Live rock arrive....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
LR will arrive tomorrow. wht should i do when i got it? should i wash the LR b4 adding to the tank? what about the livestocks that found in the package? just dump them into the tank???? what if there are some water left in the package? should i pour them into the tank?

If you have any fish and/or inverts present in the tank, I do suggest smelling the rock really good when you first start handling it. Stick your nose almost right up on it and take a good whiff. Does it have a heavy ocean smell? A fowl smell? If so, put it in a bucket or an extra tank with saltwater. A fowl or heavy ocean smell can suggest it's still not fully cured...especially if it's fowl and I mean big PU stinky fowl. lol. A heavy ocean smell isn't as bad. If the ocean smell is moderate to almost nothing then it should be ok to put it straight into the tank...after inspecting it for unwanted critters.

If you don't have any livestock in the tank yet, then you can shake it a bucket of saltwater to get rid of anything loose, inspect for unwanted hitchhikers, and set it right into the tank.

If it is not fully cured, it can produce an ammonia spike. Keep an eye on these levels when you do put the rocks in regarless of what it smells like.

I do not suggest placing any water from the package into the tank. There won't be much anyway. But...General rule of thumb: Never put water from someone else's system into yours...especially from a retailer or wholesaler. Retailers and wholesalers experience a constant turn over of livestock. Placing their water into your tank heightens the risk of unwanted bacteria, parasites, and disease.

Any welcomed livestock in and on the rock can go right in. They've probably been out of water for quite some time. LR is packaged with wet newspaper.

leesanhua said:
LR will arrive tomorrow. wht should i do when i got it? should i wash the LR b4 adding to the tank? what about the livestocks that found in the package? just dump them into the tank???? what if there are some water left in the package? should i pour them into the tank?

My 40lbs live rock from liverocks.com will be arriving in the next few hours... :)

My 40lbs live rock from liverocks.com will be arriving in the next few hours...

have you got it yet?
when i see the hitchhikier.... do i pick them by hand? the bad news is i don't know how to identify the unwanted livestock.... what should i do?

leesanhua said:
My 40lbs live rock from liverocks.com will be arriving in the next few hours...

have you got it yet?
when i see the hitchhikier.... do i pick them by hand? the bad news is i don't know how to identify the unwanted livestock.... what should i do?

Yes, It just arrived. :roll: The rock is great! It came with lots of little crabs and a few shrimp(that didn't survie the trip) I just washed off the rock in a bucket of saltwater and then put it into my tank. The only complaint I have is that DHL didn't even knock on my door. I went to take out the garbage and found the package outside...no idea how long it was sitting ou there. :evil:

I went to take out the garbage and found the package outside...no idea how long it was sitting ou there.
I would monitor the ammonia close for a few days. Hopefully there is no extra die off because of this.

Congratulations and best of luck to you. I just got ripped off at PetSmart, which sold a 15lb bag marked as 30 lb. I called corporate hdq to complain about lousy telephone treatment. Truth is it's not worth the 45-minute drive each way to save 1/2 the cost of the sand (I NEED the sand, d@#n it!!!) $10 wasted.

Needless to say, I was STEAMING when I got home. :onfire:

i got my rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! so happy! too bad most of the hicthikers die... package come in 12 noon but i got to work till 3pm. somemore is snowing !!! so cold.. poor guys....

i got many crabs... i don know whether they should be in the tank but i just dump them in my tank... any advice?

I can't give you advice but I wish you luck. I just put sand and a dead shrimp in my refugium. I'm expecting more sand to come tomorrow, then I'll set it all up and see how it goes. If I don't get live rock in by next week I'll have to wait three weeks.

Again, best of luck to you. Let us know how you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom