Live Rock choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting ready to start up my salt water tank...what do I look for in LR. I have a local Mom and Pop FS near by....I want to buy local. Would like to make sure I know what I am looking at....Can some live rock not be a good buy?

The best thing I can tell you is to look for intresting pieces that will fit your tank , if it is a nano you will want to go 1/2 LB /gl .. regular size tank 1lb/gl this will allow you to place corals ..... Look for rocks that have weird shapes and nice coloring such as purples and some green (hard algea known as coraline) make sure it has never been in a treated tank and ask how long they have had it ... look for stuff that they have in DTs and ask to buy some of that (with out corals , tho you may get a hitch hikers with it since you will be cycling your tank ) preimum LR with coralines etc tend to be a bit more expensive than that of base rock , however you can mix the to and the base will eventually color and mature ...It is how I did mine 1 or 2 pieces of preimum and the rest base rock now you cant really tell the diffrence , the base pieces had more selection and some really funky shapes as wll ... HTH :D

the best live rock is the lightest live rock. the super dense rock that is very heavy has much less surface area than the same size rock which weighs less.
look for big pieces (that you like the look of) that are light.
coralline algae, sponges, and such can be added later and i don't agree that this is "premium" rock. most of the time that stuff dies off anyway from being exposed to air and a new tank cycle.

I agree with MRX on the weight and pourousness (is that even a word ?) of the rock however around these here parts that is considered premium
My definition of preimium is with color and hitchikers and some may survive the cycling out , and as long as you transport wet in something such as a cooler (the way I did it ) you will have very little die off ... I only filled my tank 1/2 way placed the rock in and topped it off the rest of the way and away we went ;) its just my method tho ;) and some of the stuff that popped out 8-O freaky !! 8-O

i didn't mean i disagree with you sadie, i meant that i disagree with the general term "premium" used on that rock.

I figured :D I was just kinda trying to explain it but preimum isnt really the best term for it ... it is hype kinda like name that zoa :p
But it is what I would call rock with the diffrent life forms on it .... I think :D

Placing the rock is whatever you like that won't fall over. A lot of people place the rock at the back to move the fish out front. I have mine setup like 3 islands with a few scattered pieces around them. I have over 200lbs in my dt and it only covers about half the area of the tank.

Oh and this is just me, but I believe the 1-2 lbs per gallon rule is like 1 inch of fish per 1.5g rule. You could have a solid wall that all together wouldn't weigh what the rule says. On the other hand you could have only a few pieces that weigh more than what the rule says and not cover that much area.

What about placing the rock? In the middle, towards the back, off too one side?
I hope you know that it will be a bunch of rocks that are aquascaped to your likeing with the idea of making as many caves and flow through water for circulation. And yes the 1-2# is just a guide and as Mr X stated the lighter and more porous rocks are the better choice.

I guess the 1-2 lb guide is kind of a generalization to get you in the ball park of needed bacteria. Just remember, the lighter the rock, the more coverage you get for the money.

Thanks for the advice. I just hope my LFS has a good selection. I am not sure how long the LR has been there. I will look for LR light in weight with color. Our closest FS in about 45 min away other then this first one I will try.

Nope if it fits it should be fine ... Cant wait to see pics of it :D

Back
Top Bottom