live rock/dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so heres a question for everyone using live or or for those that would rather use dry rock. when you weigh your Live rock it is usually wet, correct, but when we buy dry rock its usually dry and ways alot less then when it is wet.

ive bought 10 lbs worth of dry lace rock before and when i went to soak it in water to rinse it of it sucked up about 3-4 gallons worth of water so the big question is how much dry rock would one get since we more or less go with 1-2lbs worth of wet Live Rock.

1lb of dry rock would be well over 2lbs worth once it becomes sturated with water

so heres a question for everyone using live or or for those that would rather use dry rock. when you weigh your Live rock it is usually wet, correct, but when we buy dry rock its usually dry and ways alot less then when it is wet.

ive bought 10 lbs worth of dry lace rock before and when i went to soak it in water to rinse it of it sucked up about 3-4 gallons worth of water so the big question is how much dry rock would one get since we more or less go with 1-2lbs worth of wet Live Rock.

1lb of dry rock would be well over 2lbs worth once it becomes sturated with water

Oh goodness, lol, I'm not even going to think about this, I already have brain overload. :banghead:

Iv'e often thought of that myself i figure thats where the 1-2lbs rule comes from im thinking 1lb dry 2 lbs wet.
I buy only dry, with water weighing 8.2 lbs gal it seems like a scam to pay $8-9 a lb for LR There's got to be a better way :)

no because a 1lb dry rock will be quiet a bit heavier then 2lbs it also depends how porus it is and cinsiderign 10 lbs of dry rock sucked up 25-35 lbs of water giving a total weight os 35-45lbs. tehre is a mighty big differnce.

my current setup (26gallon) is using 19lbs of live wet rock and my water columb is great, and always has been. ammonian and nitrites don't have a long life in it even nitrates now are next to nothing

Back
Top Bottom