Live rock from International Marine Aquarium??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased 35lbs of live rock from Internation Marine Aquarium online and I was wondering if anyone else has purchased from them recently. I found them by looking through the forums and they came highly reccommended. The piece looks great but it doesn't have a great deal of algae on it. I was hoping it would grow the nice coralline algae that you always see most salt water fish and reef tanks. Does this just take time or is there something I should be doing. Here are the specs on my tank.

55 gallon
65lbs of live rock
50lbs of live sand
1 Yellow Tang
1 Humu Humu
2 65 watt actinic blue and 2 65 watt 12k daylight bulbs
Marineland 350 biowheel filter with phosguard
Jebo Protein skimmer

I dont add any calcium, or Iodine supplements yet because Im not sure if I need them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most lr looks pretty bleak when you first get it but will come back to life with a couple of weeks. Even if you don't see coralline it could still be there but only time will tell.

I'd replace the Phosguard with Phosban since Phosguard isn't a Iron Oxide Hydroxide product and it can damage corals.

Don't add anything to the tank you don't test for.

Thanks for the replies guys. I can't wait for the coraline to start growing. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to buy testing supplies. Right now I have the basic master test kit that tests for PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Amonia. I would like to be able to test for Phosphates and Calcium as well but I dont want to spend a ton at my LFS. Also, I am going to buy some Purigen by Seachem because I have been told it helps stabilize the tank. I have a HOB Filter and I was wondering where the best place is to put the Purigen? Thanks

I am with Melosu, I cant keep the stuff off my glass and everywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom