Live Rock Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christy1430

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone .. you guys probably already no.. my rock comes in tommorow. the company said the rock is cured. They shipped it today and i recieve it tom. Will the rock be cured? or do i have to go through any certain process?

Your starting a new tank right? It should be fine. Some people scrub the rocks to get any dead or loose material off, but I would just leave it like it is so you can get some dead stuff in you tank to cycle it for you.

The rock is probably mostly cured but you will probably have some die-off in the overnight shipping, not a lot but there still will be some. Some people order 2 day shipping so there is reasonable die-off.

Have fun!

I cycled my tank with 2 day shipped fiji rock and it had an ammonia spike as expected. I had overnite cured LR from FL shipped in a different batch that I added and did not cause a spike at all. This was in an established system. I also had some FL LR overnited that ended up gong through a hellacious cycle and stunk up half my house for weeks and required daily water changes.

Check it when you get it. Smell it and examine it good. If it stinks or has a lot of black on it, it will probably have an ammonia spike. If this tank is new that is ok. If it is established, then you might want to cure it in another vessel. The batch that I had stink I think was from some hitchhiker clams that died off. Not to worry you but it depend on the rock and how it ships.

Good luck. I was so excited when I got my first few batches of LR. Good thing I don't have to buy that right now! Corals are expensive too though ;)

actually 15lbs will go in my tank.. and 40 lbs will be going into my brothers tank which has fish and corals already in it.

I agree with what ellisz said. Check it out when you get it, but more thank likely it'll have some amount of die off. The stuff that is going into your brothers tank, I'd atleast let sit in a tub of saltwater (with powerhead) for a few days to be safe.

Ohhhhh.... that might not be a good idea, depending on the shape the rock is in, and how much bacterial filtration your brother has to start with. [edit: the "not good idea" comment wasn't meant towards you devilishturtle! Looks like we were typing at the same time!] As ellisz commented, you might want to recure the rock that's going to your brother's tank in a separate container if possible, or at least he should be ready with a bunch of premixed saltwater for daily water changes. Better safe than sorry if there are corals involved.

I will do either or u guys tell me which is better!?...

I put the rocks in the tup mixed with distilled water and salt. Then let the rocks sit till lets say thrusday or friday.. I have no powerhead layin around will that be a problem?

Or! Put them in the tank and do a water change daily for about 4 days? How much water sgould I be changing?

Can you just put them in your cycling tank? That may even help it cycle faster, depending on the amount of die-off.

+++EDIT+++
I would not put the new rock in your brother's cycled tank, it may cause an ammonia spike.

I wish I could but my tank is 12 gallons!... and there's 55 lbs of rock!... so u suggest me putting them in the tup w.o. A powerhead? And how long?

The shipping was from yesterday 6 pm to today 4pm arnt you allowed to have it out of the water for 24 hours.(I am not trying to agaisnt anything you guys have sed)

christy1430 said:
The shipping was from yesterday 6 pm to today 4pm arnt you allowed to have it out of the water for 24 hours.(I am not trying to agaisnt anything you guys have sed)
Any type of sponge or other life on that rock is probably going to be dead or dying and could cause an ammonia spike. Some sponges will die if exposed to small amounts of air. I would cycle your tank and put the other in a tub, with SW ph and heater, you could probably go buy a cheap ph and heater.

If that's what u suggest that's what I will do! One other question... distilled water to mix with salt? And how long will I leave it in the tub?

Ditstilled will work. You keep it in there until it cures, per the liked article, once the ammonia/nitrItes rise and fall and nitrAtes peak.

LOL! I try not to buy the cheap stuff, but for you situation, you caould get the cheapest ph and heater you can find, since you probably won't use it for you main tank. Speaking of phs, you might want to get it so you can premix your water for PWCs.

I live down in miami so all the stores have saltwater and you just buy it per gallon.

Ahhh, but you should still aerate it with a ph and heater, to get the pH and temp as close to your tank's as possible.

i will put it in the tub.. and i will also put as much as possible into my 12 gallon tank. maybe 20 to 25 lbs will fit.. and the west will go in the tub. i will leave it cycling until i see the amonia go down! thank u!!

Back
Top Bottom