Live Rock Is In! How does it look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, well just got back from the LFS with a box of LR. Popped it all in with a bit of landscaping. Just chasing opionions on how this LR looks as i'm only new to this.

AR850topangle.jpg

AR850front.jpg

coral.jpg
[/img]

That looks fabulous!! Nice aquascaping, lots of caves and swimthroughs! :)
Like the location, you can see from all sides.

Yes the coral came with it, i knew the guy at the LFS, actually its a Pet Superstore so they have everything. Whats the chance of the coral living? Is there anything i can do to ensure its life or just keep maintaining water level?

corals.jpg

Little critters starting to pop up around the place. Few snails, brittle stars, and this little fella, what is it?

critter2.jpg
[/img]

There are 3 fluro's.

2 X 6800K 25W T8's
1 X 15000K 20W Tri-power / pink fluro

Do you think this will be efficient?

Looks Great Mate! Wanna come to the states and do mine? My rock should be here tomorrow. I really like how you have it setup. I will see if I can make mine look as good. I have 180lbs of base and 200lbs of lv coming 50 from lr.com and 150 from my buddies established reef tank.

First guess would be a nudibranch on the last photo. I would suggest having the rock far enough way from the glass so you can run a mag cleaner around the sides and front and also to provide good water movment between the back glass and the rock.

Awesome looking rock - 'specially from an LFS! Very good aquascaping, but I'd agree with the ability to ensure your magnet cleaner will have room to work the sides. Also, if you're gonna have a pistol shrimp, or a goby that tends to move sand from under rocks, I'd think you might wanna make sure the rock is firmly planted on the bottom so that the tunnelling won't topple them.

Did I tell you that's some awesome looking rock already? What's you outlook for critter inhabitants?

Well saw a few critters today, including that worm, a snail, a brittle star for a split second, and what appeared to be a skipper. Wen't out tonight for a bit and turn the fluro's off. When i got home and turned them on, there where critters everywhere, at first glance i could count about 15. There was one coral on the side of one of the rocks that i thought had died today, it turned all black and shrivled up. When i turned the light on it was in full extent and all colourful. Am loving this saltwater tank already, and i don't even have any fish in it.

Am loving this saltwater tank already, and i don't even have any fish in it.
8) Welcome to the hobby!

I will STRONGLY second FishFreeks suggestion of leaving enough space between the glass and the rocks for easy cleaning. I have a spot in my tank where I didn't do that... and its pretty nasty now... I really need to move that rock lol!

The aquascaping looks beautiful! Well done. :D

Def gonna prob need better lighting to substane the corals... I would also look into some Calcium suppliments as well along with other nutrients to help the corals thrive.

Looks fantastic. The LFS's up above don't carry LR like that. You should look into getting more intense lights, you are gonna want to bring out as much of the life as possible.

Looks fan-tas-tic. I'd upgrade the lighting at some point if your time/budget permits. Hard to tell what the depth of the water is, but PCs, T5s, or VHOs might be plenty for what you have in there.

Then again, if everything continues to look good as-is, maybe don't sweat it...

Back
Top Bottom