Live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbsifers21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have researched this a little and have heard 2 different things and i'm sure i'm not the first person to ask this question but here goes..... About 2 months ago i bought my first marine tank. I bought it used from craigslist. The tank is a 55 gal and had been operating for about a 2 years. I was able to salvage and transport about 75 percent of the water and i've had it up and running for about 2 months. The tank came with about 50 lbs of rock that the guy said used to be live rock but is now base rock. He said the trigger fish he had in the tank ate everything that was live off the rock and it was now just base rock. I'm sure the rock still has bacteria on it but im wondering if it will ever "reseed". I have purchased a small amount of new live rock from the lfs and noticed it is full of life (fanworms and such).....I can see the tubes in the old rock where the worms used to live so im wondering if over time things like that will spread back to the old base rock? Thank you

Short and simple answer... Yes. That rock if it was submerged the whole time during the move is still liverock. Just because you can't see fanworms and such dose not mean they are not there. Give it some time. You will be impressed what lived.

Yea. I'm really more concerned about the trigger fish eating all of the off the rock. The trigger was removed when I got the tank

Yea. I'm really more concerned about the trigger fish eating all of the stuff the rock. The trigger was removed when I got the tank

Highly unlikely that he got all the bacteria, and as stated, the other stuff will reseed from the new rock over time.

Back
Top Bottom