Live Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anememonemone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is 7 dollars a pound a good price for live rock? thats how much the local aquatic shop wants and i wanted to know if that was reasonable.

It's not cheap--probably about average. But what matters more is what kind of rock it is, how much life it has on it, and how much you need--lots of people go online for better deals. I just got 120 lbs from Liverocks.com and I'm very happy. I could have gotten rock locally for about the same price--but nowhere near the same quality.

Seems a little high for around here. I think I see it $4-$6 depending on type and amount of growth. I do not buy a lot as I chose to start with mostly base rock $1.50-$2/lb and seed it over time. The last time I bought any in WI I paid about $4/lb.

I know a lot of people buy online and I am sure someone can give you a site to check out.

Good luck,

you can tell the quality by how much color its got on it. If its got colors and looks like stuff is growing and its matured its good. If it looks like plain rock then its prolly not the best. Liveaquaria.com has great deals on rock just not sure how great the quality is

$7.00 a pound is typical LFS pricing.

If you decide to order LR from LiveAquaira keep in mind it will need to be re-cured once it arrives. This will take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks and you should not add any other live maine life to the tank while the rock is being cured.

If you can afford it, LiveRocks.com will ship 40 pounds of cured rock, overnight to your door for around $200.00 (And this is excellent quality rock).

LiveRocks.com will ship 40 pounds of cured rock
It is NOT cured LR. It is very fresh LR that is shipped soon after picking. There will still be some die off in shipping any rock. Some people have had no problems putting it into a cycled tank, others have. When I got mine last year it was quite cold outside and the inside temp of the box was below 60 and there was quite a bit of die-off present.

Also being so fresh there a lot of hitchhikers. Not all are beneficial. Check back on some of the posts. The rock is GREAT QUALITY! for the price.

I ordered 46-52 lbs of live fiji rock from oceanproaquatics.com for $112. I don't know if a lot of people have seen or heard about this site. It was recommended to me by a fellow AA forum user (Firefighter...) I drove out to Chino and the owner was very helpful and friendly. Rock looks really good. I had some critters ( brittle stars and few crabs) but none of them survived my cycle.

I don't know if it compares to Liverocks.com ( haven't order from them yet), but I was very satisfied with the service and rocks. I'll try to post some pics after finals. HTH.

This may sound like a dumb question and someone was kind enough to say it was not necessary, but I just want to be straight about it and understand the process a little better.
I have a 20 gallon tank without about 15 lbs of live rock and about 10 lbs of base rock, soon to be added too. I did a fishless cycle (actually, with fish, but dead ones). Whenever I add an ammonia source, it is quickly squelched. In addition to the live rock I have about 3-5 inches of playsand, 5 snails and 10 little-wittle crabs and a star fish. I have the light on all the time at the moment but will soon use a timer.
It will not be until the new year owing to holidays and what not before I actually place a fish in the tank. Do I need to feed the live rock with an ammonia or another source of food and if not, why not? I understand that the critters ought just to graze off the live rock, but... doesn't the rock need something? Jeff

You owe it to yourself to check out the liverocks.com section at this site and some of the pics and happy customer stories before you decide where to buy. I've seen some great looking stuff and they ship with heat packs. Very little die off I think too.

Back
Top Bottom