Live rock question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am putting together a 55 gallon saltwater tank. It is going to be fish only...do you recommend live rock, and if so, how much? Thanks for the help.

-Andrew

if it's a fish only you won't need live rock, if you want to do a fowlr then i would suggest 1 1/2 lbs per gallon so 80+ lbs. lr will help out with your filtration, but you can do a fo as well.

That's what I am doing.
I plan a fish only 20 gallon but have been slowly adding live rock -- when I see nice pieces reasonably priced -- to supplement the filtration. So far, I have about 15 lbs of Live Rock and another 10 lbs of base rock that I can see is slowly being brought to life.
Yesterday I added a few crabs, snails and a star fish.
It will be a while yet before I add a fish.
With regard to powered filtration, I only have a an Aquaclear 150 with a couple of foam inserts and a supplementary power head. Lighting is insufficient for corals -- which I plan to leave for a while -- but will live rock be inadequate for a fowlr.
The fish store hinted as much and directed me towards a small Emperor.
Am curious as to what others think. Jeff

If the primary planning of the tank is around not keeping sessile inverts, the use of rock is still a prefered filtration method unless you want to set up a wet/dry. Personally I'd go with the rock but given the light requirements I would opt for dead base rock for a majority of what you add (1-2lbs/gal), not costly LR. The exspense is much lower and rock does not require special lighting for it's filtration benefits. I would still however suggest buying a few small select pieces of LR that can be used to seed the rest of your base rock.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks.
Actually, in Toronto I wasn't able to find very interesting live rock.
I looked into ordering rock from liverocks.com but with carriage and customs and time to Canada it was prohibitively expensive. As a result, I have gone with a combo of live rock and base rock. I quite like the base rock that is locally available as it seems to have enormous surface area.
Thanks for the help. Jeff

1 1/2 pounds per gallon is recommended but I ran my tank with 1/2 pound of rock per gallon for 6 months with no problem I eventually did go up to 80 pounds however for my 65gal.

Back
Top Bottom