Live rock scaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipping minow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone had success with a specific style aquascaping with live rock? I have a 29 gal tank with 40 lbs of live rock.

I don't know if there's a "specific style". It's really up to you how you want to scape your tank. Some like a sloped approach against the back of the tank, others like a more minimal look with only a few "mountains" and lots of swimming space. Feel free to experiment, break up the rock with a hammer\chisel and cut with a saw. It's really up to you.

No it's not necessary. Some folks like to epoxy the rocks together. Others drill holes and use rods (forget what kind) to attach the rocks together. Personally I don't bother with that. I like changing my rock around from time to time and using epoxy/rods won't make it any easier. My tank is still young. Maybe once my corals start to grow out some I'll think about epoxy.

I agree it is up to you. I use to constantly change mine and epoxy or rods would make it to heavy to lift and move around.

Is it best to put the rock on top of the sand or below the sand? I have had a tank going for about 6 months, and have some zoos, GSP, Xenia it. Besides that I am new to the salty tanks.

I push mine down into the sand as far as it will go. If you have a pistol shrimp and goby they really dig a lot out from under the rocks. So make sure they are stable

Put the rocks below the sand when setting up the tank also you can put those plastic egg crate down first on the bottom then the rocks then the sand. Find the egg crates over ion the lighting section at lowes or home depot.

What i did:

Dumped all the rock onto the carpet and tried to find some cool pieces that would be good natural caves. If tere was a rock i didnt like i just took a hammer and chisel and went to work.

Then i glued all of the pieces together in a way that i thought was kinda cool. Brought it upstairs. Then i filled the tank up with half of the sand i had, put in the rock structure, and added the other half of the sand. I think it turned out nicely ;)

That is a great idea. My tank is only a 29 gallon. It's been cooking for half a year now with only 10lbs of live rock and 3 inches of live sand. I just ordered 30 lbs of rock from reef cleaners. It is dry but the guys there claim it can go straight into an established system. I figure the other 10 lbs of rock in my tank should seed the rest. This will give me 40 lbs of rock.

As far as cables to connect multiple rocks can j use the plastic cable ties from home depot?

Flipping minow said:
That is a great idea. My tank is only a 29 gallon. It's been cooking for half a year now with only 10lbs of live rock and 3 inches of live sand. I just ordered 30 lbs of rock from reef cleaners. It is dry but the guys there claim it can go straight into an established system. I figure the other 10 lbs of rock in my tank should seed the rest. This will give me 40 lbs of rock.

As far as cables to connect multiple rocks can j use the plastic cable ties from home depot?

Yes I've heard of people using plastic ties.

Back
Top Bottom