Live Rock vs Bass Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fburke

Aquarium Advice Newbie

My First post

I have had a fresh water planted aquarium for the past 7 years and decided it was time to convert to salt water.
I put in my live sand salt rocks, filled my tank added an uncooked shrimp and to begin cycling..
In doing some more reading I discovered what I thought was live rock was actually Reef bass rock.
So now my dilemma is will this rock b become live rock in time? so should I leave it?
Or should I remove it and still need to purchases real live rock…….
Yes I am new so all the expects can laugh at me..some day ma be I can too……

It will become live over time. Just seed it with a small piece of live rock & six months from now it will look the same.

To begin cycling should I add anything else? I was hoping the live rock would start the process but i guess that’s a bust..lol

thanks Doug...I put two raw shrim in there its a 55 gal so now its just a waiting game for the cycle'? whasnt sure if that was too much or little...

thanks again !

Just test every few days.When Nitrite and Ammonia are zero add up to 4ppm and if levels are 0 its cycled.I am using Ammonium chloride not the shrimp method but the end result is the same.There is no time frame because every system is different.It takes time and lots of patience but it will be worth it!Good luck!:fish1:

I would wait a few weeks and test. If the shrimp was recently added, you might want to put them in some sort of mesh bag or something because when you try to remove them, they are going to fall apart all over the place. I don't think it's necessary to let them decompose fully. In a short time you should have a substantial ammonia level.

Back
Top Bottom