Live rock without clean up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

istrompf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
would it be okay to have a FOWLR setup without a clean up crew? i am considering some fish that may eat some of the small inverts.

i am going to setup a refugium as well, would it make sense to have a small clean up crew in there?

what are my opions?

Lots of fowlr systems go without cleanup critters. I think you'll be fine. I'm not sure if they are necessary in your refugium, that would be a matter of personal preference I suppose.

:soap: If you are not planning on corals/inverts, I would ditch the refugium and use that money for more LR.

IMO a fuge is a useful item on a fowlr and it will help the LR. It will help control nitrates so you wont have to do as many WC. I have one on my 55 fowlr and it keeps things in check with the number of fish I have.
If you have plenty of LR in the tank I would reccommend a fuge also if thats what you want. Having snails in a fuge is fine and some smaller crabs is ok also. If your just using the fuge to help remove nutrients then you can even put a small fish in there.

Back
Top Bottom