Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amtrainz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting a reef tank from scratch. 150 gal. Can I use live sand that has been sitting in fresh water. I plan on getting another 40lb bag and adding it all to the tank that is just circulating with salt water in it. The putting in live rock as I can afford it.

Don't buy live sand its a waste and yes you can use your other sand just rinse it and for your rock if you wanna save money buy 10% live the rest base

Pool filter sand is a commonly used sand due to cost but you could get the sand at the lfs too or even play sand but doesn't have as nice of a look

Here is a link to Dr Foster and Smith's substrate.
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Marine Substrates, Sand, Crushed Coral, Live Sand

They have lots of options in terms of sand. What was stated above about live sand is pretty on point IMO. If I was in your shoes, and I was just a couple of months ago with a new setup, I would lean towards the agragite sands to help buffer your pH. Not only that, they have natural colors like pink and black if you are looking for something different.

I currently have non-agragite crap from Petco in my 36 and am using aragamax in my 55. Not seeing much different besides the sand in my 55 being finer, which is better suited for sand sifters.

Back
Top Bottom