Live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ercfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I was calling around looking for a LFS that sold LS. All of the ones I tried only sell the bag stuff, and the last one I called tried to tell me that the bag stuff does contain critters and that the bags are made from a special plastic that "breathes". This sounds like a bunch of poop to me, what do you think? is he full of it or not? Or does he think by critters, i meant bacteria?

If it breathes, how does it hold water? LOL

I say he is the official poop master

To say i was skeptical is an understatement. Scary thing is, this was coming from one of the largest SW fish shops in the state.

Hey if its not to much of a drive you could call them up and ask if you drove down there if they would be able to show you the critters that are in the bagged sand.

I highly doubt they will be able to show you any starfish, or worms or other forms of macro life.

Of all the bags of sand I have seen on shelves I have never seen a worm trail along itis side between the sand and the bag.

Do you know any saltwater folks around you? You could ask them for a few cups of their sand in exchange for some dry sand.

on september 17th I e-mailed the makers of Arag-Alive sand asking some questions about the claims of the sand being "alive".

I have not yet received a response.

I tried viewing your product package online but the image is much too small to read.

I'm looking for information on how the bacteria Carib-Sea claims to be in the bag is kept alive. To my understanding the bacteria must have something to feed on or it will die. If the bacteria is kept in an air tight bag is the sand coated with anything to nurture the bacteria while it is in the bag? I feel skeptical of this product but if I can be convinced the bacteria within the bag is viable I would not hesitate to recommend your product.

Thank you for your time.

Bagged LS

Is this bagged LS worth anything or just a waste of money. Will it help cycling at all?

Well here is the way I see it....

Hmmmm

You take a bag of sand. any sand. Play sand, reef sand who cares...

Buy a bottle of Hagens Cycle....

Mix the hagens Cycle per gallonage directions with RO/DI water and then pour it in the bag of sand you have... Seal it up,,, and you have exactly what you are buying in that specially marked bag of worm poop they call live...

8O

I got suckered into getting that stuff....i have 2 bags in my tank......does that mean my sand is not live??? I have it with lr and the tank has been running for almost 4 months...Its starting to hold bubble pockets in the sand....does that mean its working??? My lfs is selling a few bags of LS from a display tank that they had for about 12 bucks a bag....I thinks its only about 4-6 cups per bag......Is that worth it???

There are different levels of live.

here are the levels that I see

Level 1 - Sand that is covered with bactera for denitrification

Level 2 - Sand that is covered with bactera and has small amounts of other life forms like worms or crustations.

Level 3 - Sand that is covered with bactara and contains small worms, starfish and mini crustations

The bagged sand you get in the stores is basicly Level 1 sand. If you go with the marketing on the bag.

Level 2 sand can be acheved with dry sand or level 1 sand and adding some good live rock. The worms, pods and starfish will have a good chance of hitchiking in on the rock and populate the sand bed over time

Level 3 sand can be acheved with a long time laps with rock and sand or you can jump start this by seeding your sand bed with qualtiy live sand from an established aquairum. lets say an aquarium that hs been up and running for 2+ years.

This is just my take on it.

Back
Top Bottom