live sand live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks sounds like a plan. The next step in all this is to add my LS and my Refugium. Then later down the road, due to finances add the LR. Here is the question, If I do it in steps like I mentioned will the tank start to cycle with the addition of the sand ? My guess is yes. So say it cycles before adding the rock what would happen when I add the un-cured rock to the cycled tank ?? At my LFS when the LR arrives there is no time to cure because it sells so fast !!!! Maybe I should cycle it myself in some other type of container or tub ?? Thanks again.

Skip the cost of the LS and just use dry base sand or a branded oolitic sand. The LS won't be enough to properly cycle a tank anyway so you effectively just spending money for nothing.

While your waiting on the LR you can <<cycle>> the tank and then <<cure the rock>> seperately when it arrives.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I really was not getting the LS to cycle, but thought while we waited for the LR we could see things start to grow. What do you think ??

You won't typically see growth (I think) from LS. It's live because it already has the bacteria in it. Now, if you get some sand from an already established tank you may get some worms and stuff, but you won't see growth like you would on LR.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. :)

-j

Oh, let me also say that I spend an exorbitant amount of money on 20 lbs of sand only to find out that the more experienced reefkeepers don't recommend it because the cost outweighs the bacteria.

-j

Crabs shrimp

Thanks, I wont waste my money on LS. So until I get the LR can I cycle the tank ? Would like to add some crabs or something after the cycle until I get some LR. What do you think ?

Bagged LS is an absolute waste of $$ and leads a hobbiest down the "garden path" so to speak. If your going to pay any money for something like that, I would follow hisc1ay's suggestion on aquiring something from an established tank. Just be sure the tank being "borrowed" from has never had copper or other meds in it. Another suggestion is Garf Grunge.

When first starting up a tank and using LR there is absolutely no reason to buy anything but dry dead sand. The LR added later or even near the start will do all the seeding you need. If using dead base rock then I would look to sand bed activators not bagged wet sand. Even in a FO system, a dead cocktail shrimp would result in the same end results at less than ½ the cost.

Remember in SW aquaria, fast = failure :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Re: Crabs shrimp

batfire said:
So until I get the LR can I cycle the tank ?
Definately.... see the link I posted in the first reply.

Would like to add some crabs or something after the cycle until I get some LR. What do you think ?
Once the tank has cycled, zero ammonia and zero nitrite, do large water change to reduce any remaining nitrate and replenish the chemistry. Wait a about 5-7 days to see if the parameters remain steady and add a few crabs. I would wait on snails until you have a decent enough algae growth to sustain them naturally. Just remember to feed the crabs a few times/week and acclimate them slowly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom