live sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i went to my LFS todaythey had live sand in the bag. it had water in the bag, and the bag states that "just add to tank and you don't need to cycle your aquarium" ( i assume that means if you only use this product).
any truth to that? The worker said all the critters are in the mix (zoopods etc). I'm pretty leary about this stuff but the guy guarantees the stuff.

what do you guys think? :?

mark

NO!

Saltwater tanks need to cycle. Most people on here would say that the bag stuff is a waste of money. I don't know. However, a SW setup takes patience and persistence to set up, and as too many of us have learned, there is NO shortcut to a successful SW setup.

If the guy guarantees it, then ask will he refund your money if your tank is not cycled instantly by this stuff. He won't because he knows that it is impossible!

Anyway, good luck and remember:

Patience, grasshopper.................

:hat:

yeah i have to agree, i'm not even sure how long it has been harvested, the guy couldn't answer either. i wouldnt think the zoopods could survive to long in a sealed enviroment, even if there is water in the sand.

thanks

Patience grasshopper :D :pimp: LOL

I totally agree! If you're going to go with a DSB stick with the cheap sand at Home Depot($5 for 50lbs). Then seed it with some live sand from another reefer's aquarium. Patience is key in this hobby, it's very hard to control my urges to buy something cool everytime I see it :D

There was a great thread recently on LS/LR really being "live". If you do a search for "bagged sand" in the saltwater reef general discussion you will find a thread called "really LS/LR question". I think you'll find it interesting

Back
Top Bottom