live sand questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Live sand is not required, is it? If I'm starting from scratch and gonna cycle my tank, the sand doesn't need to be "live" does it? Any recommendations on the type of sand? I've read/heard that a DSB works best..( 4in. right?) Also, argonite seems to be the most advised w/ maybe a mixture of CC. Should I go with that?

Also, anyone know of a good site to get the sand from. Or a good lfs in the Los Angeles County area? Thanks for the help!

if your DSB is not "live" it could well get stagnant and make hydrogen sulfide which can kill things. You can start with plain sand and "Seed" it with a cup or two of true live sand.

do not mix with cc. just use aragonite. aragonite helps regulate PH, and therefore is much better than beach sand

I bought my sand online. shipping was $17 for each 30lb bag, but in the end was about the same as a LFS.

If you're using live rock, it will seed life into your sand. Also a few sand sifters will help prevent dead spots where hydrogen suflide could form. However, crushed coral can harm some sand sifters.
I went with 100% carib-sea Aragamax sand.

Sand sifters are critters that move the sand around, right? Some examples of sand sifters would be.......?

Nassarius snails, cerith snails, worms. You don't want anything that eats the beneficial microfauna in the sand bed, like sand sifting stars.

Back
Top Bottom