Live sand recommendations!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingPoseidon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I’m thinking about possibly getting back into saltwater after a year break. Problem is I’m not sure what sand I really want. I’m filling a 55gal. I love my anemones and I love eels so I know a finer sand would be ideal but I’m not sure what kind to go with please help me out!

There are lots out there to choose from. Really the key is an aggregate sand rather than a silicate as diatoms feed off of silicates and they would be constantly in your sandbed...among some other issues it can cause. Though with that said, some people have had success using pool filter sand as their sandbed.

I personally have only used Carib-Sea sands and can only speak for the 'regular colored' sand and black.

There are lots out there to choose from. Really the key is an aggregate sand rather than a silicate as diatoms feed off of silicates and they would be constantly in your sandbed...among some other issues it can cause. Though with that said, some people have had success using pool filter sand as their sandbed.

I personally have only used Carib-Sea sands and can only speak for the 'regular colored' sand and black.

I appreciate the help! How much do you think I would need for a 2-3” sand bed? Or should I go deeper

I would go for a lbs per gallon just like you will for the rock in the system. That should give you close to that I would think. If you don't like the depth you can always add more.

Back
Top Bottom