Live stock ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonrider420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 64 gallon (48/18/18) rimless tank.

I was wondering what fish I could potentially keep. I was thinking a pair of designer clowns and yellow tang. The tank will be set up as a sps dominated reef.

Can’t wait to see how this tank will grow.

Well, the yellow tang is out of the question. It is one of the 6 ft long tank tangs. There are some, like kole and tomini, that can fit in such a system. I'd suggest checking out liveaquaria. They have spot on tank size recommendations for fish.2

This sounds like a nice sized tank. Please post some pictures if you have any.

I agree yellow tangs can get stressed if not in a longer tank. That being said, some people buy them small with the intention of rehoming them to a larger system or upgrading their current setup. Probably not the best idea though.

If you're going SPS reef - there are plenty of options. Instead of a tang, potentially a different algae grazing fish, maybe a blenny of some sort since they are more suited to a smaller tank.

If you are dead set on having a yellow fish, there are other options instead of the yellow tang. Yellow coris wrasse comes to mind as being a bright yellow fish that has a good personality. Midas blenny's are really cool too. You could potentially go with a lemon peel angel but they are closer to being not reef safe if you plan on having a cleanup crew and still do get on the large side. Yellow watchmen gobies are cool too.

Hope this helps.

Although yellow tangs need more swim space and are stressed for having a short tank. It really depends on your aquascape. As long as you design it to have an island or better yet 2 islands it will fool it into thinking there’s more space than there is because it can swim circles and figure 8 around the rocks.

Aquascape looks good! I’ll warn you, I’ve never had any success keeping a good sps reef without a sump. IMO a skimmer is a requirement for a good sps reef. And with just a hang on the back filter and not having any sand I think you’ll probably end up having problems down the line with keeping your nitrates and phosphates down to keep your sps happy.

Aquascape looks good! I’ll warn you, I’ve never had any success keeping a good sps reef without a sump. IMO a skimmer is a requirement for a good sps reef. And with just a hang on the back filter and not having any sand I think you’ll probably end up having problems down the line with keeping your nitrates and phosphates down to keep your sps happy.

So I’m getting a skimmer comline doc 9012 with heavy loads comes to 60 or light for 260. I’m also adding a hang on the back refugiums.

It also looks like you may need more rock.. To keep a successful SPS reef you will need great filtration - with that little rock, there will be few places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

It also looks like you may need more rock.. To keep a successful SPS reef you will need great filtration - with that little rock, there will be few places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Agreed plus adding more rock gives you more spots to put frags!! :)

You are 100% right. I’m ordering 120lb of dry rock and redoing it completely.

Back
Top Bottom