liver rock - Online or LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samwise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a nanocube now and bought the LR form an LFS. However, it was a bit pricey. Now that I know more about SW tanks. I'd like to know if it's better to getting it online from a place like Liverocks.com and take a shot at what they give me, or should I get LR from a LFS where I can pick and choose.

(I'm trying to start a new tank, BTW)

Also, if I get LR from Liverocks.com, will they have hitchhikers?

Most here will recommend LR.com. I just received my order yesterday and got lots of hitchhikers. Sure there may be some you don't want, but most folks I've talked to said the good hitchhikers far outweighed the bad.

I've been to several LFS in my area and nothing they had forsale looked as good as the rocks I got from LR.com.

Hope this helps.

I usually find online to be cheaper than LFS, but you have to pay for shipping.

You also can't pick and choose what shapes you want, but I was pretty happy with the shapes I got from LiveAquaria. I'm going to try Liverocks.com next.

I'm pretty sure most LR has hitchikers.. All of mine has, some of which I'm still discovering.

samwise said:
I've got a nanocube now and bought the LR form an LFS. However, it was a bit pricey. Now that I know more about SW tanks. I'd like to know if it's better to getting it online from a place like Liverocks.com and take a shot at what they give me, or should I get LR from a LFS where I can pick and choose.

(I'm trying to start a new tank, BTW)

Also, if I get LR from Liverocks.com, will they have hitchhikers?

I purchased rock from liverocks.com several months ago. I have been very, very pleased with the rocks (I chose Keys rock). Great colors, and teaming with life. Our starfish, worms, crabs (some good, maybe some not so good) are all still alive. We had some clams that have bit the dust. Just the other day we were moving around a rock and a little pistol shrimp came out and started swimming around. Have never seen him before, but have heard clicking. Was afraid it was a mantis shrimp, and there is a chance we still have one in there... just haven't seen him. But did see one when we first received the box of lr, just flushed him.

Great place to get rocks.

I agree. Liverocks.com has better rock than most locally. Besides, locally you will pay a premium IMO. Even with shipping, you might not have to pay sales tax either. The bottom line might be the same price, but if you want good liverock, go with liverocks.com.

Mike

If I plan on using the LR to help start the cycle in my aquarium, does that represent a problem for the small creatures that will come with the LR from LR.com?

I'm excited to receive other hitchhikers with the rock, but I don't want to kill them by putting them in my brand new tank. Any suggestions, guys?

I would say cycling your tank with LR is the best method. You will lose very little life doing it that way, and your fish will thank you. :D

some hitchhikers are inevidible going to die. I had a few clams and crabs die within the first few days of recieving the rock. But there is so much life on the rocks from LR.com, that loosing a few won't matter.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I appreciate it. Also, sounds like lr.com is the way to go. I've already been in contact with Zack and he was really friendly and helpful. Great info and resources on this site. I'm excited. :)

Back
Top Bottom