Liverocks.com instructions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just go my shipment of liverock from liverocks.com. The instructions from liverocks.com says not to cure the liverock. Well, it says not to cure it like normally imported liverock. The instructions imply that the rock is safe to put right in the tank. I don't want to damage the rock by curing it.

Has anyone had any experience with this rock?

Thanks,

Van

When I got my order, I placed it right in the tank just like they said. Unless it smelled really foul, you should be ok.

The downside to this is hitchhikers. There might be some crabs, snails, mantis, etc that you might not really want in the display tank.

HTH.

well on my rock i put it in the QT tank and let it sit there till the level when back to normal. it took about 1 week to do that. but you do not want ot just put it right in to a tank that already has stuff in it like fish and corals and such. there is going to be die off and that will make the ammonia to rise and kill any fish in the tank.

I put my liverocks rock right in with the rest of it and had no noticeable spikes, it smelled good right out of the box.

I would say: well established tank with adequate bio-filtration, you can place right into the display but you do risk introducing unwanted hitch hikers such as mantis shrimps like ellisz said. You should take some existing tank water (ie: two 5 gallon pails, 3/4 full) and use this as a dunk or dip rinse prior to placing into your display. Your NH3 and possibly your NO2 levels might slightly rise for 1-3 days than fall back.

On the other note: if your display is relatively new (cycled within the last 6 months) or have minimal bio-filtration, then you should place the LR into a container with aged water from your display with a power head and heater till the NH3 & NO2 levels drop.

You CANT hurt the live rock by putting it in QT until you verify its not giving off any ammonia or nitrite.

You CANT hurt the live rock by putting it in QT until you verify its not giving off any ammonia or nitrite.

This is so true. Please be kind to your fish and QT that rock :mrgreen: . You may not have much die off but you WILL have some (unless you picked up the rock from their shop put it in tubs os salt water and drove it home) :wink:

Does the water in the qrt holding area have to be aged or can I get new RO water at the right salinity and PH and temp and put it in there instead?? I dont want to drag out my tank water as I just did a water change the other day...
Please reply asap as I have LR waiting for me at my house from LR.COM

Why would I put LR in freshwater...Let me redo my question...
Im getting LR today from LR.com. I dont want to put it directly into my show tank but rather into a rubbermaid. I have a heater, water pumps for circulation, and the container.
Do I use the 15 gallons of RO SW I bought at lunch to put the LR into to sit for a few days? I want to "cure" it or make sure I dont get any die off. If I use freshwater it will kill all of the critters?? I dont understand...

Why would I put LR in freshwater...Let me redo my question...
Im getting LR today from LR.com. I dont want to put it directly into my show tank but rather into a rubbermaid. I have a heater, water pumps for circulation, and the container.
Do I use the 15 gallons of RO SW I bought at lunch to put the LR into to sit for a few days? I want to "cure" it or make sure I dont get any die off. If I use freshwater it will kill all of the critters?? I dont understand...

whew!! I thought I was in a bad dream and about to have to start over!!I may use a small bit -5 gallons or less- from my tank as I know the levels are all good as I took them today. Cant hurt for sure...
Thanks

Glad you asked about the freshwater vs freshly made saltwater. WOuld hate to have you kill off your rock by soaking it in freshwater for a few days.

If you have a small heater heat the QT water aswell and provide water movment via a powerhead or two. You may decide if you want to light the tank during this time or not.

Freshwater meaning Fresh made saltwater. Put the rock in the tupperwear container and let it sit for a week. Then you'll be set ! I am placing my rock right into my tank because it is not established. No fish or water yet. I got 45 gallons of water mixed and ready to get pumped in...

In the tank...

There is definitely difference of opinion here. You'll have to decide.

I say put it directly into your tank. Deal with the hitchhikers later, but get that rock into the healthiest situation as possible as soon as possible.

If a hitchhiker is a serious problem, you can always remove the rock later and deal with. Right now, that rock has been out of water for long enough and it needs immediate maximum life-support...FAST.

The problem I have with qt is that they are usually set up at the last minute and don't have established bio filtration. Starting the qt with some tank water isn't enough. Freshly mixed salt water is no better. A fresh qt is basically a fresh tank...unable to support life until it cycles.

If you had created the qt over a month ago, cycled it completely so it was ready to accept the rock that's different...but it doesn't sound like you did that.

You dont need established filtration when dealing with QTing live rock. After all the rock itself is the filter. Placing rock that is suffering from some level of die off in a tank with fish and corals is like playing with fire. You might not get burned but then again you just might.

All Im suggesting on doing is taking a bucket, tub, or trashcan put some new saltwater in it along with a heater and powerheads and then inspect the rock as you unpack it. Remove obvously dead items and then place them in the container. Check back after 24 hours for ammonia or nitrite. If either exists then thats ammonia and nitrite that didnt end up in your display tank. Check after 48 hours. If ammonia levels are higher then inspect the rock for further dieoff. if your lucky the ammonia and nitrite will be gone and you can then transfer the rock to the display tank with little risk of ammonia being introduced to an established setup.

I speak from experence. I lost fish due to adding rock that was still going thru the curing process into my tank.

and one more thing SW tank take time. if you take the time and do stuff slowly your tank will be etter off in the end.

Back
Top Bottom