Looking for ideas for featured fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Im looking to add what would be the feature or marquee fish to a 56 gal tank that has a yellow tang, kole tang and a flame angel (all about the same size, 2-3 inches), along with simple corals such as mushrooms and polyps. Lots of live rock, live sand, UV filter, all good equipment.

I was thinking maybe a butterfly, if there are any that would be okay with this type of reef. Maybe a threadfin, or possibly a banner fish. I like angels also, but I gather most are not reef friendly.

Looking for a fish that wouldn't grow beyond, say, 6 inches.

Thanks for feedback and ideas!

A banner fish would be a nice addition. Make sure you get the right type though. Henochius Dip.. (sp?)

Mike

Is one banner fish OK, or must they be in pairs or more?

have you ever thought about a mandrin goby... its a brightly colour fish and they have a lot of charter to them... the males have the high dorsal fin, kind of like a fire fish.... or a royal gramma

royal gramma would be great....any particular wrasses you would suggest?

i would get a fairy wrasse.. they are reef safe and help keep every thing clean, they also eat a lot of parasites. make sure you have a cover on your tank as these guys like to jump

they might. i have a flame angel in my reef no problem.. the dwarfs are far less likely to pick at corals.. at the fish store i worked at out of all the dwarf angels the only one that was brought back was a bi-colour angel cause it was picking at corals.. its a chance you would have to take but i never had a problem with ppl buying them and destroying there reefs.. the larger ones are no way reef safe!!! i've clean a bunch of tanks for customers that were reef and they have dwarfs in them. its up to you

i think you already have a lot of fish for a 56 gal tank the kole tang gets to be about 7 inches and the yellow tang 10 not sure on the flame guess would be about 3 or 4...i would not add another fish until i found someone to take at least one of the tangs...sorry jmo

What about the copperbanded butterfly? I've always wanted one of these fish, but I was hoping to add a couple corals in the future, so I didn't bother. Are they prone to eating corals, or have I heard wrong?

My flame angel so far (5 months) has not been a problem with the mushrooms or polyps, or anything else. Also, the flame, the kole tang and the yellow tang all seem to get along well.

I have heard, and I think read (perhaps in the Fenner book) that copperbanded butterflies aren't the best choice among butterflies even for a fish only tank. Ive heard that either raccoons or long-nosed are hardier, more peaceful, less finicky eaters as well. I would like to know if either raccoons or long-nosed butterflies are OK with soft corals.

If my tangs outgrow the tank, I will move them.

Back
Top Bottom