looking for info for starting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krtyr26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all! Iam a fish tank lover/ hobbies. I currently have a 125 discus tank and a nano dwarf puffer tank. Back in college I had a salt and also converted black mollies to only a salt water tank ( slowly of course) and successfully. My question is I would like to get a salt water tank started again maybe 10 to 20 or nano. I don't remember any of the details on starting one up, filtrtions, lighting, needed chemicals etc... can anyone give me some info ? Also stocking ? I read so many different things on the web I just don't know what's right or wrong. Thank you in advance

Things you need to start up a saltwater tank

for a 10g/20g all you would need is a hob filter instead of a sump

but I would recommend a 40b you would be much happier as it gives you a better foot print and a larger choice of fish you can get .

(Only if you go with a 40b)
external overflow box and a sump 20g (only for a 40b) you would also need a return pump.
(Note)
you can get by with a hob filter if you don't want to get involved with a sump on a 40b

(These are needed for both tank choices)
tube of salt instant ocean seems to be the cheapest

Test kit

hydrometer

heater

thermometer

skimmer rated for double your tank size

base rock/ live rock 1lb to 1 1/2 lbs per gal

sub straight 1 lb per gal

2 power heads rated 10x per gal your tank size

lighting I prefer the Chinese knock off leds
MarsAqua-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-

I always liked the egg crate tops as they are easy and inexpensive to make

I may have missed a few but I'm sure someone will add them

Before you begin take this 1 rule serious ..

NEVER RUSH ANYTHING IN SALT WATER . ALWAYS TAKE BABY STEPS

My very first recommendation would be do as much research you can to give yourself a better understanding of saltwater and what it involves . I would also suggest a keeping journal of everything you did to your tank , you can list dates along with your test readings. I always like listing salinity when you do water changes , also how much of a water change , this journal will prove to be one of your most important tools in your possession .

once you start your journal you will be able to see if things need to be addressed
example you see your nitrates or phosphates rising you can do a water change to bring them down before you encounter the nasty counter part algae ,

same with ammonia keeping a close eye on it is important also , another good thing is if you ever encounter a issue you can fall back on your journal to see when things started going wrong. it can actually help you diagnose the problem . I call it the saltwater bible the best thing I ever started. this will make your journey in saltwater so much easier.

I would first familiarize yourself with the cycling process as many fail to do this correctly . This is the very first important step if not done correctly your looking
to fail. we want you to succeed the first time . very important don't rush through this process ,

be sure to test your water 24 hrs after you add your ammonia source , test your water periodically through your cycle , the average cycle takes anywhere from
4 to 8 weeks all tanks are different this is just a basic time frame .
this link will explain the cycling process.

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Once you get through this hurdle we can start the next part
you don't want to get overwhelmed to fast as that's when bad things can happen
you never want to overload you train of thought to fast

Last edited:
Yes, saltwater tanks are very challenging to maintain. Hope it works out for u!

Thank you for the info. Is it different cycling a salt compared to a fresh? I would most likely go with a hob filter. I don't know anything about sumps or how to set one up not the slightest idea! What about canister filters? Are they a good choice

Thank you for the info. Is it different cycling a salt compared to a fresh? I would most likely go with a hob filter. I don't know anything about sumps or how to set one up not the slightest idea! What about canister filters? Are they a good choice

cycle is a little different but nothing you couldn't handle the link below
will help with the cycle , your freshwater knowledge can help with some of it

I ran both a 39g and a 40b with a hob and a skimmer .
now with a canister they are nothing more than a over size nitrate trap
and not something you would want to use with a reef.

how ever on my predator tank I didn't have room for a sump so I used a canister it helps keep the tank clean as they are pigs. but I have to do weekly clean outs on it , nitrates are a bit high in this tank but Its kept under control
with clean ups on the canister and large water changes every week.

cycle is a little different but nothing you couldn't handle the link below
will help with the cycle , your freshwater knowledge can help with some of it

I ran both a 39g and a 40b with a hob and a skimmer .
now with a canister they are nothing more than a over size nitrate trap
and not something you would want to use with a reef.

how ever on my predator tank I didn't have room for a sump so I used a canister it helps keep the tank clean as they are pigs. but I have to do weekly clean outs on it , nitrates are a bit high in this tank but Its kept under control
with clean ups on the canister and large water changes every week.

Can some on explain in detail a sump and how it works and how the heck you drill holes in the tank

Can some on explain in detail a sump and how it works and how the heck you drill holes in the tank

The sump is basically a container typically situated below the main tank or display tank (DT) that houses things such as heaters, filter media, protein skimmers, etc. The sump is divided into sections using panes of glass or acrylic usually referred to as baffles. Within each section are different types of mechanical, chemical, and biological filter media. The last section may contain the equipment listed above along with a pump known as a return pump. The return pump delivers water from the sump to the DT. As the water level rises in the DT, it spills into an overflow which sends water back to the sump. The overflow will differ depending on if the tank is drilled or not. If drilled, a plumbing piece known as a bulkhead fitting fits in the hole to provide a seal as well as a way to connect other plumbing pieces (elbows, tubing). As for drilling, there are glass bits designed for this. I have not drilled a tank myself so I will leave the details to someone else. If the tank is not drilled, then the overflow usually consists of a pair of boxes; one in the tank and one outside of the tank. As water fills the inner box, a siphon carries water from the inner box to the outer box. Water then flows through a vertical pipe which sends it to the sump.

not everyone drills there tanks I don't . I use a external overflow and never had a complaint ,
not everyone knows the proper way to drill glass . I heard story's many times how people blow
out the glass using the wrong tools , or applying to much pressure

to answer your question about a sump click on the link in my signature it should answer all your questions about a sump .

Last edited:
This sounds some what complicated to me. I definitely would not drill. I've read they are the best when it comes to filtration though

Back
Top Bottom