Looking for stocking tips for a 40 gallon breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikienhecker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We and my soon to be wife are heading to Key West in a week or so after our wedding. Just wandering if there are any cool fish or corals that we should keep our eyes peeled for. I am fixing up an icechest with a heater and a power head, any other ideas on keeping the critters alive for the ride home would be appreciated. Just started cycling the new tank last month and i bought two decorater crabs and a couple snails so it wouldnt be so boring to look at for now. We will be on the gulf side of the keys and there will be good snorkeling right outside our room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

first, you need to make sure it is legal to collect wild specimens. Second, are you sure you want to risk a wild caught animal, paracites, diseases and injuries unknown? Bite the bullet, and support your local small business LFS.

i have checked the laws and its ok as long as im not on the atlantic side where the managment areas are. Also, i do a lot of business with lfs but i am going to Key West. For me this is a once in a lifetime experience and it is well worth the risk. I appreciate the advice, and understand the risks but im hard headed lol. I have a list of every protected animal in florida and i dont have any wish to collect them. If anyone is famillair with the keys and can give me advice on some critters that i cant get at LFS it would be greatly appreciated. I would even consider sending anyone with good advice a critter or two in the mail. Thanks guys

Well i guess i could use advice on what not to bring home as well.

I wouldn't take anything as you can't tell what kind of disease a fish or whatever could have.
Though that said, it this is a place over run by lion fish and has one of those kill orders on them I would say grab yourself one if you'd like while going on a spree. Things are a menace in the Caribbean currently from all I've heard due to people throwing unwanted pets into the drink. Not sure how far or where they've spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. Im stocking a 40 gallon so it would have to be a dwarf lion. I might have to build a fish spear before i go. Can you eat lionfish? JK

Well i made it back from the Keys with some goodies. Not much but it was worth it. I found a pipefish and some rock anemones. A lot of macro algae and a pile of blue legged hermits.

Not sure what the round stony corals are but i have five or six of them

Attachments

• 1422107451066.jpg
    1422107451066.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1422107496994.jpg
    1422107496994.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 1422107541562.jpg
    1422107541562.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1422107575965.jpg
    1422107575965.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 78
The snail in the first pick is eating another snail so i took him out. The pretty liverock came from Dan at Gulf Live Rock. It came out the gulf that afternoon and in less than 24 hours it was in my aquarium. Still trying to ID the crabs and corals. Some big clams made it as well. Not very pretty but i guess they will help keep the water clean. The live rock from Dan is awesome sponges, sea squirts, anemones, sea pens and fans, feather duster worms, crabs, hard and soft corals, clams, brittle stars, tunicates,ten shades of coraline algae, and im pretty sure i have a pistol shrimp in there now too. Might be a mantis but either way im happy.

Back
Top Bottom