Looking to start new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimjam35

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone, i have been very curious about setting up a salt water tank. i have seen the BioCubes in stores. they would work very well for me in my room and think small is easier then starting with a 100 gallon tank. i am currently looking at the 14 gallon BioCube, and looking for some guidance. any ideas or tricks would be greatly appreciated along with if anyone has set up a biocube, what else did you have to buy right away to get on your feet and get the tank started.

actually in SW, the bigger the better is considered when starting. The larger volume would give you a larger margin of error. I know carey has been using biocubes a lot so maybe send her a PM for some good information

Own one myself, been up for a year.

Had to buy a heater, sand, test kits, and LR.

But I advise against buying all LR, buy majority dry rock. Much cheaper.

Any other questions about it I can hopefully answer, I've taken the majority of it apart several times :lol:

I own a 14g biocube and I LOVE it. while normally smaller tanks are harder to maintain, these all-in-one tanks are SO easy. I have no problems with it. Because of the top I have almost no evaporation which a lot of the small tank issues come from.

You'll need the tank, sand, rock (live or base rock), a teeny heater and a test kit. I also bought the skimmer, not needed but it helps.

What type of rock does one recomend?? And whats the time frame to set the tank up and have it ready for fish? And also how many animals would a 14gallon tank be able to handle??

IMO depending on the fish you could do 2, very very big maybe when I say 3. That's no including corals or your CUC or other inverts

What do you mean what kind of rock?

As for setup you're looking at around 2 months or so before you add fish to be safe IMO

So the biocube comes with all pumps and filters needed to start a sw tank correct? Sorry just trying to price everything out before i dive into this.

Yep, lights for a reef also are included as well. Though they aren't the best lights you could have, they still are pretty good at what they can keep

you won't be able to keep hard corals in the biocube, but i've had pretty good luck with everything else.

Back
Top Bottom