Looking to start saltwater, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dx12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have had freshwater fish tanks a long time and I’m looking to possibly get into saltwater, I have a 40 gallon breeder but I have NO IDEA how to start. I wanna make sure I get it right and I think I’m at the right place. I have some filters but I don’t know if you need a special saltwater filter. I’m not looking for corals or anemones or anything other than fish, shrimps, or crabs. I have a light that is perfect for my freshwater but I don’t know if the fish need special lighting. Do the fish need special sand too? I have some cheap sand that is topfin brand and I know works for freshwater. any help with, well, about anything will be greatly appreciated.

A fish only system can be run very similar to how most freshwater tanks are, the only difference is utilizing the roughly 1 lbs per gallon idea as your main form of biological filtration. There are articles about cycling and such in our articles section.

Back
Top Bottom