LOTS of questions! Stocking, compatability, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've officially bought a 125g tank with complete filtration and stand for 400$ (yay!)
I can't pick the tank up until next week, so I don't have it here physically, but I've been researching a lot of fish and lighting options.
It's the 72x18x22 size, BTW
I think I'm going to go for a semi-aggressive tank with 5-10 medium to large sized fish. Definitely FOWLR. This is my first SW tank so I don't really want to get into corals and difficult fish at this point, although it could become a reef in the future.

Here are my ideas:
DEFINITE STOCK LIST:
- Picasso Triggerfish
- Harlequin Tusk

(The trigger will be the VERY last thing added to the tank, and it will be a juvenile to try to help keep aggression to a minimum.)

And here are some fish I'm thinking about. Any information/experience you have with them would be loved! I've picked out these fish as "options" based on the use of compatibility charts, temperament classifications, and sites like LA.
- Saddle Wrasse
- Squarespot Anthias
- Canary Fang Blenny
- Forktail Blenny
- Auriga Butterfly
- Black and White Heniochus Butterfly
- Raccoon Butterfly
- Bivolor Goatfish
- Marine Betta Grouper
- Flame Angel
- Lemonpeel Angel
- Multi-Barred Angel
- Scribbled Angel
- Passer Angel
- Majestic Angel
- Annularis Angel
- Blue Tang
- Brown Scopas Tang
- Powder Blue Tang
- Purple Tang
- Indian Sailfin Tang
- Blue Dot Puffer
- Spotted Puffer
- Snowflake Eel

It would be awesome if you could make a suggested stock list out of those fish selections, or steer me in a better direction with different fish that you think would better suit the tank. I do know some basic compatibility stuff just from my basic research.. Like I would only keep one dwarf angel, one large angel, etc.

Here are some more.. random questions..
Can I keep a French Angel in a 125g?
When we went to Aruba this summer, we swam with a lot of French Angels and I really fell in love with them. Most sites I've seen have given a minimum tank size of 135g, but I was wondering if it's possible. (I know it's technically possible to keep one with proper filtration, etc., but I'm thinking more of the fish and the swim room and territorial needs.)
Can I keep larger crustaceans with a triggerfish?
I'm really interested in horseshoe crabs, to be honest.
Can an anemone be kept with these fish?
My mom really wants one in the future. She originally wanted a full on reef tank but I talked over the cost of creating and maintaining corals and the limitations it puts on fish selection with her.

With the trigger and the tusk you will need at least semi aggressive fish as your first fish. The butterfly fish would probably be to peaceful. The blennies would probably be to peaceful as well. The grouper is nocturnal so you wouldn't see it much during the day and is also peaceful. The Anthias is probably to peaceful as well. Any of the others should be ok as long as they are added before your trigger,

You are right about the French angel needing the extra room to swim.

I know my lemonpeel just about killed an anemone so you might want to reconsider anemones.

Horseshoe crabs really get large and might be a tank bulldozer when they get big enough. It won't be just your trigger you will have to watch for when you consider things like crabs and shrimp.

Thanks for the tips!
The site I was looking at said that the particular anthias was semi-aggressive, which is why I put it on my list. I'll have to get a second opinion on that one!
I'm also now thinking about French grunts, goatfish, and other FO wrasses.

253264_2289034471122_1406769011_2571944_690160_n.jpg

Decided on sergeant major damselfish as one of the first fish to go in the tank. There were SWARMS of them off Aruba when I was diving.

My friend and I catch baby ones on the beach all the time. I have one in a biocube. Cute little things until they get large and aggressive LOLOL

Back
Top Bottom