Low ph while cycling saltwater 24 gallon nano-cube.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mdiesel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently cycling my first saltwater tank with live rock and live sand. Right now my ammonia is at 1ppm ,nitrite 2ppm ,nitrate 10ppm. However my ph has dropped to 7.8 . Should I sit tight and let it finish cycling or add a marine buffer ? Or should I do a water change? Thank you for your time , everyone here has been very helpful in getting my tank started.

Hi and welcome!

I'd sit tight on the buffer and the water change. Let the cycle finish. pH has dropped to 7.6 in some of my cycles. Do you have any powerheads for circulation? If so, you can aim them towards the top of the water. The aeration will increase your pH.

No need to do a water change until your ammonia and nitrites are gone. What are you using for your ammonia source?

Thanks Rick, I have one power head aimed at the live rock. I was told that the dying organisms on the live rock will produce the ammonia. Also when I started I added fish food for the first few days , but since have stopped .

Back
Top Bottom