LR and a few other newbie ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phishphood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I am new and will be setting up a 40gal tank the first week of 2005. Since I'm a student and also made a few foolish buys, I'm a bit short on funds. Would I be able to get buy cycling my tank with about 10lbs BR and maybe 10-15lbs LR?

Also, out of these 3 (i know, cheap) PS, which would be best, or could I run a combination of them? Visijet PS 100; Berlin Air lift 90; Lee's PS

I have 2 PH, Rio 800 (225gph) and Shark (200gph). Also have a Marineland Penguin 300 w/ biowheels HOB filter.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticism (besides quality of filters) would be great! Thanks in advance.

1. I would add a shrimp to the tank and cycle it from there. Also you may want to add to the rock, it's recommended to have 1 to 1.5 lbs per gal. I see 25 lbs, IMO you need 35 lbs more, now that can be base rock and let your live rock seed it.

2. I don't know which skimmer would be best, someone else will have to answer that one (I'd get a skilter, replace the air valve and have skimmer and extra filteration).

3. You may want 1 more ph, depends on what your going to be putting in the tank, I also would use the bio wheels until after the cycle and then take them out. In a sw tank they tend to create more nitrates than they take out.

What kind of lighting are you going to have?

We all make foolish buys so don't let that stop you.

....if it matters, please note that a smaller tank is much tougher for salt water so take your time.

also, LR will increase the salinity if it is brand new so be careful.

...thought this would help.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I know i need more LR, but I'm working on getting what I can, and adding the rest later (I know...might do another minicycle). Also, if I'm setting up a new tank, should I only fill it ~1/2 way or 3/4way before my LR gets here? that way i can adjust salinity when LR gets in and also wont overflow the tank. Oh yeah, forgot...only building a FOWLR and it WILL stay that way for at least 3 years or so. Any more input?

Aqua- I know smaller tanks are harder, but also cost a wee bit less...although I might've been able to get a 55 instead, oh well, definitely not scratching this tank and getting a new one now....just finished building a stand for it :D

Back
Top Bottom