LR from Liverocks.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started a tank and added my salt and aragonite sand.I was goin to order some LR from LR.com. the Gulf rock to be exact. Is it too soon to put it in the tank? Will i kill the inverts that are on/in the rocks? Should I just wait until my tank is done cycling?

Either way when you put the LR rock in the tank it will cause a small cycle so yes you can go ahead and place the order. When the rock comes in follow the instructions on curing the rock so as to keep as much life in/on the rock as possible.

LR.com tells you add the rock to a tank with an established bio filter (already cycled tank). If you haven't cycled your new aquarium yet then the new LR will do that for you. You will need to do regular water changes (daily at least) if you want to preserve much of the life that comes with their rock. Otherwise the die off will cause a huge ammo spike, etc. and will cycle your tank for you.

A lot of the life on the gulf rock is very hardy. Imagine the conditions in the gulf, rapid temp changes, strong currents, ect. Our gulf rock is a good choice for a new aquarium.

ok. so will it cycle my tank? i just want to start the right way. i dont want a lot of money and mess things up.

I want to buy the live rock but i don't want it to die. I have a 40gal breeder and only one 30watt 50/50 Coralife bulb.

The 20#LR and 10# base from LR.com gave me a good spike and a great cycle within my tank. Still have lots of life left. At least 8 crabs, 4 snails, 1 limpet1 eunicid and a clicker(hoping its a pistol shrimp not a mantis) All this survived my cycle and looks great.

I got 90 pounds of LR from then and 55 lbs of LS and just added the LS and LR to my tank then added water. My cycle was super fast.. a day or so and it was done. Was awesome !

Back
Top Bottom