LR in sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gallagherjim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 72 gal with 80lbs of LR. adding sump, question is, can i move some of the LR to the sump and still maintain the benefits of it without the clutter. If it matters, the sump is 30 gal, and has two chambers

I've done the same thing. I also created a similar thread a while back and asked if I needed light on the sump. In case you'd like to know, the answer was no. The beneficial bacteria don't need lights.

the sump is a great place for LR. However, I would contact the LFS in your area and see if they will give you the LR rubble in the bottom of the LR boxes when they get shipments in. This is free and you can get much more rubble in the sump then you can LR. Much more surface area for bacteria to grow. My LFS was just throwing the stuff out so I had them save it all for me. They just gave it to me. Check out my gallery to see some pics of the rubble n my sump. I now have about 40 lbs total.

yeah, rubble or hirocks.com base rock (or some other bare rock) will work just as well and you won't be paying for "life" which will just die off without light

It may be good to light your sump if it's a fuge though.. you should use the opposite light cycle as the tank. this will keep pH stable 24/7

Back
Top Bottom