LR one week later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
After 1 week of cycling, my levels are as follows:

Ammonia 0
nitrites .50
Nitrates 20

I can explain the nitrates being so high, on the last water change I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, I used 15 gal out of my 30 gal tank in my 46 gal, then put 15 gal back into the 30 gal, so I got a water change for my fishies and dropped my ammonia in my 46 at the same time. Didn't take into consideration that I was putting nitrates into the tank. :roll:

I'll do a 15 gal tonight, and then we will see how much longer I must wait until my fish can move into their newly remodeled home. :D

newly remodeled home.

is this a bran new tank or did you already have the sand and rock?

if it's bran new and there are no fishies I would wait for the cycle to complete before changing water.

It was their original home but I didn't like the cc. Took them out and put them in the 29 gal. Got my sand and ls. put a little fish food to feed the bacteria until the lr came in. Got the lr Tuesday last week dipped it, put it in the tank and cranked the powerheads, filter and skilter (I know but I like it) wide open. Checked my levels twice a day, pulled the big dead stuff off the lr on a daily basis. I'm not putting my fish in there yet although they would be ok with the levels where they are now. I am trying to get some "pods" and worms to go in the sand to boost it before i actually turn them loose in there. :mrgreen:

Ok something I forgot was the tank was set up and running for a week with just the sand in it, then I put in the ls, and took the filter out of the other tank and shook it off real good in the new tank (plenty of crud in it). plus the small amount of fish food should have "kick started" my system. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well you are doing better than I am. I got my LR last Wednesday. As of last night, my ammonia was 4.0. I have been doing 10-15% water changes daily and pulling out dead stuff as well. Being new, I didn't think ahead like you and move the two damsels I had in the main tank, so I lost one on Monday. :( That night I moved the remaining damsel to a QT, though it didn't' have the proper bacteria in there, so I'm watching the ammonia levels there as well. At the point that I moved the damsel, it seemed like the lesser of two evils--uncycled water or high ammonia. Anyway, I hope to get the levels back down soon.

Now I have to look into improved lighting! :)

Jeff

Increase your water changes!! 8O . Try and get the ammonia down to no more that 1 to 2. At 4 it could be killing off some of you lr. (I think). What kind of aslt are you using? If it's IO, then you can buy a 200 gal bucket at bigalsonline for 33.99 plus shipping. Shipping is 21 bux but it still came out 20 bux cheaper than gettign it locally. But you really need to stay after the water changes. HTH

Thanks for the input. I definitely am concerned about losing some of the LR. Now that I think about it, I guess the % is closer to 20% (around 10 gal in a 45 gal tank), but I guess I can do more. I can't remember now what kind of salt. I guess given the posts I have read here, I didn't expect anything like this. I am learning how much there is to learn. If you have anymore advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Being new, I didn't think ahead like you and move the two damsels I had in the main tank, so I lost one on Monday.

Im sorry you lost your damsel. But i'm new also. I have made my mistakes and try to learn from them. I pay real close attention to fishfreek, loganj, Reefrunner, and a bunch of others. :lol: Just don't give up. BTW what kind of testing kit are you using? That may have alot to do with your readings. Lift your lid and take a big wiff, what do you smell?

1. nasty smelly boat dock smell.

2. ammonia (yes you can smell it if it's high enough)

3. dirt, (don't laugh, mine smells like dirt once the ammonia went to 0).

HTH

I am definitely trying to learn from my mistakes. I believe that it was fishfreek and reefrunner that convinced me to do the LR, which overall I'm glad. Overall, I'm glad that I got the LR from liverocks.com, but I received and email from Zack last night that was a bit frustrating. More on that later. As for the test kit, it is a Saltwater Master by Aquarium pharmaceuticals. What's your take on that brand? When I lift the lid, I smell the boat dock, although it is lessening. I don't think I can smell the ammonia or dirt smell.

Last night I took about 15 gal out and moved the rock around to get to some dead stuff that was behind it. I tried to remove dead stuff that was hanging on the rock as I re-arrange the rock. Of course, much of the life has been shy about coming out since then, but I'm guessing over the next couple of days it will be out in full swing. I've also seen things that I hadn't before, which seems like a promising sign.

As for the email that I mentioned. I received an email from Zack saying that he needs help getting the word out not to do the carbonated dip. I'll try to get the email posted here. Anyway, his email went as far saying that these dips effectively kill the rock and force a curing period, which seems to defeat some of the reasons of buying the rock from them. Their tests show that only aquarium water should be used and that he's been addressing many questions on this. My frustration comes from what I recall as a supporting email or post pointing me from Zack to Bearfan's dip method. Also, I tried to be very careful knowing that I had fish in a cycled tank and wanted to disrupt the conditions as little as possible.

Well, I'm rambling now, mostly out of frustration. I still think this forum is great and truly appreciate all the help that I've received. I hope to someday be able to help at least one person avoid such an issue.

Thanks for all your help,

Jeff

Jeff,

I use the AP test kit also. I didn't get that email but I also used the dip. :roll: At least my sea squirt is living 8) so it must be ok. :D

If you are getting the high ammonia, just follow the curing guidelines on this site....water changes every other day. The more changes you do the longer it will take to cycle. You will be surprised what some of the LR critters can live through.

I had a batch that really fouled on me. Mine was cloudy and it stank up my whole house. This is not an exageration either. This LR still looks better than any other rock I have. I had about 6 turkey wing clams survive this process as well.

Now my last Liverocks.com order was great too. I just dropped it in my tank and really did not have any ammonia spike at all. I did not dip the rock at all though. I think I have a mantis because of this though :(

HTH

I have a squirt and a cucumber that seem to be OK for now. I really hope to get the levels down soon.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom