Macroalgea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel84

Aquarium Advice Activist
What types are best? Easiest to care for? I see people selling culerpa, cheato, shaving brush....

Chaeto is the easiest. Some folks have trouble with caulerpa but I like it better because it grows faster and I believe it absorbs more nutrients. I don't like to use anything that consumes calcium, so I wouldn't use halimeda or shaving brush.

Culerpa is simple I've learned just need a light with a timer in the sump

what are your thoughts on Red Gracilaria? I was ordering a cleaner package from reefcleaners and they had some so I order it as well...there were sold out of chaeto :(

I never got it to grow much. As far as it being "tang candy" or whatever they call it, that remains to be seen. I have never seen a tang go after it.

I never got it to grow much. As far as it being "tang candy" or whatever they call it, that remains to be seen. I have never seen a tang go after it.

My tangs love this stuff. They will ignore all other food if I put some of this in the tank.

It was growing fairly fast for me before I upgraded tanks. Now seems to grow slower. It might be due to less water flow where it is now or that it is after skimmer now. I'm not sure.

Yeah I don't have tangs so that's a none issue. I just need it to eat up extra nutrients. The guy I ordered it from said if they have chaeto he will switch it out

Back
Top Bottom