Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aiptasia x worked great for me. Good luck! Cleaning the tank when you get it is always the fun part! Think of how accomplished you'll feel when it's done and you get to sit back, relax, and enjoy your tank.

I'm already on my way to Home Depot to get my sand paper for the stand. The tank isn't all that bad after I rinsed it out... But you're right. I think I can make it happen and feel accomplished when it's up and running. :)

How do I get this stuff off? I guess it was from the sand bed... And how do I prevent it from ever looking like that again? My sand is sitting in an ice chest right now. Should I buy new sand or should I just keep what I have?

image-1960982363.jpg

I have so many questions... Hope everyone can chime in. And thanks in advance! :)

BUY new sand or go no sand not having a sand bed has huge benefits. the tank will be cleaner and be much easier to clean. the only thing sand is good for is to look at and IMO 90% of the time sand looks like junk. DO NOT use the sand that was in the tank before it will be a nightmare. I would strongly suggest this esspecially beings you said you like your tank clean. This makes it very easy to clean the tank. also it is much better for corals. all a sand bed does is help trap Phosphates because the food and waste falls in it and the sand "eats" it and leaves behind phosphates that leach into the system. With a bare bottom tank you just siphon all the gunk out every week and it doesnt rot away. Promotes coral growrth by keeping nitrates and phosphates down. and bosting another type of phosphate (cant rember the name) that aids to coral growth and isnt harmful.

Vinigar should remove that algae stain without issue.

I'd go with sand if it were me. If you get gobys etc they will they you for the sand bed :)

It's all preference but personally I like a sand bed and think it looks much nicer.

I'd go with sand if it were me. If you get gobys etc they will they you for the sand bed :)

It's all preference but personally I like a sand bed and think it looks much nicer.

the only gobies that need sand are sand sifting gobies and they often starve because they dont have enough food in the sand to keep them healthy. Other gobies do just fine without sand and I have always had gobies in my system. The only things you cant keep without sand are some larger wrasses that typicaly arnt reef safe anyways and sand sifters that normaly stave anyways. and imo just make a mess of the tank by sifting sand and having your flow take it all over the place. Another benefit of not having a sand bed is your flow is amplified by being able to bounce off the bottom. it will increase the flow in the tank quite a bit. Anyways it depends what you want. I personaly want fast growing healthy corals more so then I want the sand bed. You will see that people who have never had a Barebottom tank dont support it because they havent seen first hand the increadible change it makes in your system. because one you go barebottom you will never go back.

the only gobies that need sand are sand sifting gobies and they often starve because they dont have enough food in the sand to keep them healthy. Other gobies do just fine without sand and I have always had gobies in my system. The only things you cant keep without sand are some larger wrasses that typicaly arnt reef safe anyways and sand sifters that normaly stave anyways. and imo just make a mess of the tank by sifting sand and having your flow take it all over the place. Another benefit of not having a sand bed is your flow is amplified by being able to bounce off the bottom. it will increase the flow in the tank quite a bit. Anyways it depends what you want. I personaly want fast growing healthy corals more so then I want the sand bed. You will see that people who have never had a Barebottom tank dont support it because they havent seen first hand the increadible change it makes in your system. because one you go barebottom you will never go back.

I've actually seen some pretty awesome bare bottom tanks. In my case though. The bottom of the tank seems to be scratch quite a bit... I guess from wear. Bc I'm jumping from fresh to salty I think I may just go with keeping a sand bed. I have live rock as well... The benefit would solidify the rock. But you're right I have seen some extraordinary bare bottom tanks. I think I may just buy new sand. The one I have in the cooler has little starfish in it and bugs of some sort. Not entirely sure if I want to get rid of it all. Maybe throw in a cup to live up my new sand... Idk...

We all have out own opinions. Sand to me looks better and natural. Of course Johanna this is totally up to you. I have a feeling you'll go sand and be happy.

I have a deep sand bed and it looks fine. But to each there own.

We all have out own opinions. Sand to me looks better and natural. Of course Johanna this is totally up to you. I have a feeling you'll go sand and be happy.

I have a deep sand bed and it looks fine. But to each there own.

So in a hundred gallon tank you need a 100 # of sand correct?

So in a hundred gallon tank you need a 100 # of sand correct?

On my 29 I added 30 pounds of sand. So 100 pounds will be fine. You don't want too deep of bed. Unless that's what your going for. I happen to like the deep sand bed and so does the pistol shrimp.

theres no set amount of sand or live rock needed like alot of sites say. this is just a guide line but by no means needed. So go with how ever deep you would like it. If you want an inch of sand and that means you need 60lbs thats totally fine. theres no set amount thats needed. Like i said earlier sand beds are 100% look. the only thing that requires a specific depth of sand bed is if you want a specific creature.

Personally, I think a sand bed looks better and it would also be pretty neat IMO to have a DSB with garden eels.

The sand prior was pretty deep but the person didn't have any cool creatures in there other than the snails. I have those guys. But considering I'm literally taking most of the establish water.. I still will go through the cycle non the less but does that mean I can't put all those guys back in after or do I have to wait? He's holding the fish for me, along with the corals and cuc... Until I get everything situated with the tank. I just really think the stand is an eye sore.

I am not understand what you are asking. Could re rephrase that? Also if you can keep the water at 78 degrees and a power head in the bucket with your live rock you should have minimal cycle and will probably only be a few days of a cycle. just dont let your LR sit out of the water to long, get to cold, or sit in stagnit water. Also there is no need to use the old tank water unless you just want to to save money on salt. But tank doesnt hold the beneficial bacteria. The beneficial bacteria are colonies that form on surfaces and are not free swimming. The snails dont need sand and will be fine in a cycling tank. Its normally the first thing people add and they will not be hurt by the minimal cycle you will experience assuming you keep the live rock in the conditions i stated.

Ahhh... Ok. Here I thought I had to keep the water for minimal cycle. So I can just get new salt water and be fine as long as the rock stays warm and circulated. I have air stone constantly running. My power head throws the water out of the Rubbermaid tote. I should have the tank up and running by Friday!

Ahhh... Ok. Here I thought I had to keep the water for minimal cycle. So I can just get new salt water and be fine as long as the rock stays warm and circulated. I have air stone constantly running. My power head throws the water out of the Rubbermaid tote. I should have the tank up and running by Friday!

What your doing os fine :)

Keep the air stone running for the rock and get all new fresh saltwater. You'll be fine. And out some pics up on insta :)

image-3272682284.jpg
Got the tank looking better!

image-734376688.jpg
My man doing his manly duties for me. :)

I sanded this sucker... So it was his turn to work the brush. I did the front... He's working on the inside. :)

Back
Top Bottom