Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scrubbed the crap out of the tank and took most of the algae off... There's a few coralline algae in there that I just can't take off... I don't have an acrylic safe scrubber (if they make any) so Im working with what I got. I found a lot of scratches in the front of the tank. :( just bums me out a bit. Especially after polishing the front off. Will see how it goes. My brother said I could use a buffer to help buff the scratches out. If sooo... Can you do the inside? This dude... Really scratched it most likely on scrubbing it or doing water changes.

Is washing the sand more of a manly duty? Bc I'm having a hard time trying to do it... Especially after seeing worms crawling it. That's just gross! I'm not an insect person.... Blah!!!

Sand can be frustrating at times, but it looks most natural! :)

And I understand what it's like to buy stuff off Craigslist and have it turn out not as advertised or expected! But your doing the right thing on making the best out of what you have! :) this is gonna be a nice tank

Sand can be frustrating at times, but it looks most natural! :)

And I understand what it's like to buy stuff off Craigslist and have it turn out not as advertised or expected! But your doing the right thing on making the best out of what you have! :) this is gonna be a nice tank

Thanks Evan! Hope I can live up to the expectation! :)

It will exceed expectations haha!

So what's moon sand? Is that the black stuff?

Yes!!! I had black gravel in my freshwater tank and it really made everything pop. Love to see things in a saltwater tank pop. But I'm not sure how that would work or if it would just generally be a bad idea. Not entirely sure but I'm leaning towards the black sand.

Yes!!! I had black gravel in my freshwater tank and it really made everything pop. Love to see things in a saltwater tank pop. But I'm not sure how that would work or if it would just generally be a bad idea. Not entirely sure but I'm leaning towards the black sand.

It's definitely different!! The colors of the coral would definitely pop. :) I think either way you'l be fine. I know a few people who have used black sand for reef tanks. They seem to like it :)

Becarful with stuff that isnt true sand in reef tanks. Alot of the time it is loaded with silicates that will leach into the tank and cause alot of algae issues. Make sure what ever sand you get if you plan on doing it is for reef tanks.

And yes with old systems there is normally some nasty worms in it because they used live rock and the worms came along with the rock and multiplied into 100s or 1000s. There are a few black sands that are made with aragonite that would work well. Honestly i really like black sand in a reef tank and if I was going to ever use sand thats the color i would use.

if you dont like the scratches you can take scratches out of acrylic. and yes you can do the inside. you will just need to do a quick google search on "removing scratches from acrylic", I dont think its hard i just think it takes some time based on what iv read. acrylic scratchs extreamly easy and thats why you dont see many acrylic tanks being sold new anymore.

Becarful with stuff that isnt true sand in reef tanks. Alot of the time it is loaded with silicates that will leach into the tank and cause alot of algae issues. Make sure what ever sand you get if you plan on doing it is for reef tanks.

And yes with old systems there is normally some nasty worms in it because they used live rock and the worms came along with the rock and multiplied into 100s or 1000s. There are a few black sands that are made with aragonite that would work well. Honestly i really like black sand in a reef tank and if I was going to ever use sand thats the color i would use.

if you dont like the scratches you can take scratches out of acrylic. and yes you can do the inside. you will just need to do a quick google search on "removing scratches from acrylic", I dont think its hard i just think it takes some time based on what iv read. acrylic scratchs extreamly easy and thats why you dont see many acrylic tanks being sold new anymore.

I seen moon sand on marine depot and I thought maybe this would work. I really like the sand. Just hope it's for reef. I haven't ordered it yet. Still shopping around. I had huge diatoms problem with my freshwater tank bc of silicates... I deff want to stay clear of those bad boys!

Never heard of it! Sounds out of this world!! Like clever said there is some good black reef sand. You on schedule to finish?

I have to finish by today. No ands ifs or butts. Just finished my last coat of paint on the stand. Finished cleaning and polishing the tank yesterday. On my way to the hardware store to pick up a threaded coupling and some glue and I should start putting this bad boy together by this afternoon. :) if anything I just really need to figure out how to connect all the pipes and stuff. At least so I can start putting water in there from the LFS. That's going to be a long few drives from a 100 gallon tank. I have about 40% of the regular water. So we will see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom