Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-3615016512.jpg

Got some Fiji Pink sand. :) couldn't do the washing part. It was just too disgusting for me. I got four bags to hold me over temporarily. I'm thinking one more bag will be it. Picked up a few acrylic scrubbers to take the coralline algae off. Bought some glue to glue a couple of parts. :)

Picking up fish, corals and light tonight... I think I'll be waiting until Sunday... Got to situate the piping from the sump. I'm clueless. Going to see if the guy at my lfs can help me. He's been great help! Shoots me straight. I'm in love with his display tank! :)

image-2512964788.jpg

It's getting put together!!! :) Had some stubborn algae I couldn't take off... But it's finally in the house and ready to go. If only I knew how this plumbing stuff worked. I'm taking guesses but I guess I want to be certain so I'm taking it to the lfs dude. :) I'm happier about my tank now that it's up!!! :)

It's getting put together!!! :) Had some stubborn algae I couldn't take off... But it's finally in the house and ready to go. If only I knew how this plumbing stuff worked. I'm taking guesses but I guess I want to be certain so I'm taking it to the lfs dude. :) I'm happier about my tank now that it's up!!! :)

That's a beautiful tank good job

Question: so does the sand go in before the water? Or does the water go first, then the sand and then the rock??? I guess I have enough marine books to figure it out.. Lol. But I'm at work now. :(

I usually do sand then water.

Put a plate on the sand bed and pour water on it so as not to disturb the sand

I did water then sand, it worked great.

I have noticed talking to people that it depends on the type of person you are. If u do water first it flushes all of the small particles out of the sand so that later down the road when a fish moves the sand a bunch of "dust" will be in the water column. The down side is it takes the water a little longer to clear up and you will be rinsing out the sock everyday at the beginning.

I have done it both ways and I was much happier with water first.

Here's the issue with my sump... I have two separators (are those called baffles?) that are for the bubble trap to the return pump. So I have no filter socks. Can I just place a filter sock at the end of the intake tube to catch the big chunk of debris? How could I tie that to the intake tube?

Here's the issue with my sump... I have two separators (are those called baffles?) that are for the bubble trap to the return pump. So I have no filter socks. Can I just place a filter sock at the end of the intake tube to catch the big chunk of debris? How could I tie that to the intake tube?

So do u have the filter pads?

Only problem is the sock gets pretty heavy,they make holders. Maybe some filter floss between the baffles or a sponge will help catch particles.looks good!!!

My reason for rock work first is this. If you get anything that likes to dog or play in the sand or sift through the sand your gonna want your rock work stable and not built around your sand bed, make sense?

If the rock work is laid down first and something later disturbs the sand bed there is a less likely chance of rocks becoming unstable.

Rock work down first. Then sand in and around. You can use a a very fine paint brush to blend the sand in. You can move the sand around with the brush and it will come out better then using your hands IMO.

The paint brush can be your best friend. Besides its a work of art right?

Only problem is the sock gets pretty heavy,they make holders. Maybe some filter floss between the baffles or a sponge will help catch particles.looks good!!!

Ahh thanks!!! I'll grab some filter floss next time I'm at my lfs. I may be taking lots of trips there anyway in the next few days. Lol...

My reason for rock work first is this. If you get anything that likes to dog or play in the sand or sift through the sand your gonna want your rock work stable and not built around your sand bed, make sense?

If the rock work is laid down first and something later disturbs the sand bed there is a less likely chance of rocks becoming unstable.

Rock work down first. Then sand in and around. You can use a a very fine paint brush to blend the sand in. You can move the sand around with the brush and it will come out better then using your hands IMO.

The paint brush can be your best friend. Besides its a work of art right?

Ahhh... That makes a lot of sense. I really would like to get a goby. Just not sure when I'll get one. Problem with my rock is that it's live rock. Didn't end up buying the dry base rock... I may just go with additional live rock from my lfs. He's selling it for $3/1lb. Not too bad... But he won't sell it to me until my water is in place.

That's a really good price for live rock.

Also con gave great advice regarding rock then sand method. It is what I did with my tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom