mag pump noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it sound like a vibration noise? If so this is normal.There should have been a sort of pad (that came with the pump) is to be stuck on the bottom of the pump to prevent the vibration.

Hope this helps

If there is an actual rattle, you may have an impeller problem. If you can't see anything through the intake, pull the front cover off by removing the screws...about 6 of them I think. Be very careful not to damage the o-ring when you remove the front cover. There, you'll probably find either a broken impeller blade or a small rock hung in the impeller.

If it's a vibration as suggested by triggers, then that is normal to an extent. Is it an older pump or a new one?

Is it an older pump or a new one?

brand new. sounds like air? def not vibration the hum is ok to me.

its like a tickety sound
There should have been a sort of pad (that came with the pump) is to be stuck on the bottom of the pump to prevent the vibration.

did not get pad. reducing the hum would be nice. i am sure you all know what i mean by air in impeller sound. you know whan you first start a pump and after a few minutes it goes away, well this doesn't. pump is fully submerged

Is it moving any water? I have had a couple of Mag Drives that got sort of an airlock in the impeller chamber. They wouldn't prime and rattled like crazy. Usually, you can move the pump around...turn it upside down a couple of times...and get the air out if that is the problem. If it isn't airlocked and there isn't a piece of gravel or other trash in the impeller chamber, I'd say you have a defective pump and I would contact the retailer I bought it from and see about returning it. It's possible that one of the rubber endcaps was left off of the impeller shaft at the factory...that'll make them rattle and will eventually destroy the impeller.

i had the same problem make sure thers no air in the pipe going into the pump... or u can also look if where the water is being sucked in from make sure u have like a sifficent amount of water above it so it doesnt create like a tornado type deal with the water and suction.....
Hope this can help

the pump is working fine its the noise thing. i didnt think this was normal but thought i would check before i made a stink.

thanks
doug

I'd pull the impeller cover and check the impeller for damaged blades, derbis, and possibly a missing rubber cap on the impeller shaft.

Back
Top Bottom