Magma's 110gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well its been over a year my 35gal is just getting to small, so I want a 6ft tank now. So on with the build!!

Looking at the tank size of 72"lx20"tx18"d with a 40gal sump

Im going to the builder tomorrow to discuss the options of Dual corner overflows or one central overflow. I am leaning toward the dual corner overflows but someone else had mentioned if I want to ever use a wavemaker it might be better to use a central overflow.

Either way I will be having dual returns located near the center one facing each way.

As for the sump I think I want to keep it simple, a skimmer section, a return section and an area for cheato/macro algae.

Im planning on running 2, 6 bulb 36" fixtures over the tank. With mostly softies and LPS corals. Maybe SPS in the future but not likely.

I will be condensing my tanks into one so as of right now the stock list will have:
1 Clown
1 Red Scooter
1 Coral Beauty
1 Orange Spot Goby
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 6 Line Wrasse

Also want to add a yellow tang and a Blue tang then once the tank is older maybe replace the red scooter with a Mandarin dragonet.

Thoughts on the overflows?

I'm also in the planning stage of an upgrade of my 125g reef to a 180g or so and I've thought about the overflows alot. lol I think i would go with the 2 on either side. Better circulation and intake i would think. :) How would a wavemaker interfere with a dual overflow though, you lost me on that one. lol

Because it helps when the surface of the water will only each overflow intermittently, where as if you have a central one the water level will always be the highest in the center.

Heres a picture if that helps, the blue lines are the water level depending on which way the "wave" is headed so you can see the middle will always have constant flow..

Attachments

• waterlevel.jpg
    waterlevel.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 162
I get it now, you want a resonant standing wave. :) Yep, I see how that might not work. I have a wavemaker built into my controller and it makes a nice wave but you can hear the overflow gurgle when the wave is headed to the other side of my tank.

Exactly but with a central overflow you can see the water level should stay fairly stable.

went to the builder, worked out a 72x20x20 with a central overflow and a 5 foot sump. Metal stand with a metal brace 2 feet above the tank to suspend lights from . Waiting on a final cost then its good to go :D

Tank is a go!

Price...$0.00 worked out a deal with the LFS for some Electrical work to cover the cost of the tank.

Black background, central overflow with dual returns, 5 foot sump and metal stand....2 week time frame.

Now I need to figure out a return pump. I was thinking of the Quiet One 6000 which is rated for 1664gph but thats with 0 head.

I think I will be pushing water about 4-4.5 feet up.

Returns will be 2 3/4" holes on each side of the tank I was thinking of hard piping them together and down to just under the display then covert to flex tubing into the sump where the return will sit.

Any Idea's/suggestions on the return pump?

Finally started to take pictures of this, waiting on the sump to arrive from a different city (about 3hr drive each way) since the local tank builder is just way to back logged and with the blizzard we had 2 days in a row the roads are not very nice at all.

And yes haha blizzard in spring, but thats Canada for yah!.

Anyways here is the stand and the plywood before I started doing much.

Edit: should also state the tank size has changed a bit.

72x20x20 with central overflow and 2x3/4" return holes

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Standprep.jpg
    Standprep.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 185
Drew out my power needs for the tank and how I wanted it to look. This is my working model, both switches on the outside of the tank with the plugs mounted on the backing above the sump.

powerneeds.jpg

The local wildlife has made it into my tank, but im worried the small tank wont be enough for them and they will need to be re-homed soon.

calgary2012041500731.jpg

Well I managed to get the top and back onto the stand tonight, and start some of the electrical.

These plugs will be controlled by 1 switch and will be for my lighting system, so this way I have 2 plugs will both have a main on/off switch in case I need to turn the lights off for whatever reason.

Later this week I start the other feed which will power the pumps and powerheads.

calgary2012042200145.jpg

calgary2012042200147.jpg

Well its been almost a full year and its just sat in the living room collecting dust...so this past week I have really started to do something with it.

Filled the tank with sand, and some base rock.

Purchased 3 LED Units (Evergrow d120's) and have hung them over the tank (removed one fixture temp to hang over the older tank)

Started the plumbing, I was going to use PVC pipe but I ended up going with flex just because it was faster, the overflow pipes are still PVC but only because I happened to have some left over from a previous tank.

Also plan on finishing the electrical this weekend.

Loose fit on over flow plumbing.
overflowo.jpg

Flex pipe on 3/4" returns
plumbing.jpg

Flex fitting into the bulk head
fittings.jpg

Full Tank Shot
ftsmarch2013.jpg

Full Tank Shot with LED's on 100% blue and white
ledlights2.jpg

Full Tank Shot LED's 100% White Only
ledlights.jpg

Just got a new return pump today, and I can not be more pleased with it. I bought the Speedwave DC 1320. Also known as the Waveline dc-5000, its adjustable up to 1320g/h (at 0 head) along with a 10min feed button which shuts the pump off for 10min during feeding then restarts. The pump also has a soft start which mean it slowly ramps up to its set speed so its not turning on full power right away.

I did a test with in and its silent to the point I had to check the water was actually moving. Also NO LEAKS! so now all I need is some heaters and the tank can start being filled and cycled....wow so close to finishing this!

returnpump.jpg

I also got a few new frags and 3 bubble tips when I bought the pump. 1 sun coral frag with about 3-5 heads which is currently in another small tank being feed so no pictures yet.

coralfrag.jpg

bubbletips.jpg

Just got a new return pump today, and I can not be more pleased with it. I bought the Speedwave DC 1320. Also known as the Waveline dc-5000, its adjustable up to 1320g/h (at 0 head) along with a 10min feed button which shuts the pump off for 10min during feeding then restarts. The pump also has a soft start which mean it slowly ramps up to its set speed so its not turning on full power right away.

I did a test with in and its silent to the point I had to check the water was actually moving. Also NO LEAKS! so now all I need is some heaters and the tank can start being filled and cycled....wow so close to finishing this!

I also got a few new frags and 3 bubble tips when I bought the pump. 1 sun coral frag with about 3-5 heads which is currently in another small tank being feed so no pictures yet.

That pump sounds like the most perfect fit to what I want. I know it's still new but say you was to replace it right now, would you replace with the identical pump? By silent does that mean totally soundless or just quite compared surrounding noise like falling water. Thanks for any feelings you have on it. I'm ordering something very soon.

That pump sounds like the most perfect fit to what I want. I know it's still new but say you was to replace it right now, would you replace with the identical pump? By silent does that mean totally soundless or just quite compared surrounding noise like falling water. Thanks for any feelings you have on it. I'm ordering something very soon.

After using it to fill the tank and running it for about 12hours just making sure all the plumbing works. Yes I would replace it with another DC motor. My other tank which runs on AC and is either On or Off is way louder and its a smaller pump.

This DC pump is rated at 1320gph using 40W. My other pump for a smaller tank is 300gph at 130w.

The speed controller is perfect and the feed mode is great to shut off the pump and automatically turn it back on after 10min, now even if I forget to turn it on no problem! (I always forget the little things)

I took a quick video with my Iphone just to show how the tank is working right now.

125gal tank - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom