Magnesium and Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im ready to add some fish to my tank that i would like to have as a reef tank down the road. I am getting the idea from reading the forum that really the only thing to treat as supplements in your aquarium is Calcium, magnesium, and buffer for PH reasons. Am i right on this or is there other things to put in your water.

I am getting the idea from reading the forum that really the only thing to treat as supplements in your aquarium is Calcium, magnesium, and buffer for PH reasons.

I would not supplement any of those unless you test for them and see that they are low. PWC`s will take care of most of those without adding supplements. Remember dont add anything you cant test for.

Depending on your salt mix, you may not need to add anything. Like melosu58 mentions, you'll need to test those parameters and see where you're at.

Yes now i see i just tested my tank water and my calcium is high around 500 is that ok?

I do not have a test for magnesium so i will not add any of that yet.

Until you add corals, you don't need to worry about ca/alk/mag. 500 seems a little high, but I believe that's about right for Seachem salt. You obviously won't need to add any.

Back
Top Bottom