maturing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any way that i can mature the water faster before putting fish in ?

What do you mean by maturing the water? If you are actually talking about cycling (the growth of beneficial bacteria in the aquarium), my understanding (though I have only done it once) is that using pure ammonia to start the cycle is the best way to go. Here is a link telling you how to do that in detail: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

If you mean simply mean removing chlorine and / or chlorimine and mixing salt, using a good chlorine remover is and a powerhead in your mixing bucket is probably the best route. If you get a large enough powerhead, you can hook some vinyl tubing up to the output to pump the mixed water into your tank and avoid liftin buckets. (Someday, we'll all pay for hauling so many buckets!)

Ready for fish=the tank is cycled and the live rock is cured. There is no way to get around these requirements, which take time. Once the rock is cured (which cycles the tank) do a large water change or two to get the nitrate back down. Then you should be ready for fish.

Thanks, its just i heard that you can put uncooked shrimp in the water and it can help the water cure faster ?

That is a method for fishless cycling in freshwater (and not as effective as using bottled ammonia). In saltwater the live rock curing will do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom