Metal halide, leds, or t5s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Don't know which to go with, I would like to have most corals and anemones. I can get metal halides for 299.99 at my LFS but I have a glass cover to my tank and I don't want my water boiling.. If I do get a MH can I put just one fan pointing at my water to cool it down? My tank is a 37 gallon, 3 feet long and a foot deep, 20 inches high I think. Any suggestions?

Damped said:
Don't know which to go with, I would like to have most corals and anemones. I can get metal halides for 299.99 at my LFS but I have a glass cover to my tank and I don't want my water boiling.. If I do get a MH can I put just one fan pointing at my water to cool it down? My tank is a 37 gallon, 3 feet long and a foot deep, 20 inches high I think. Any suggestions?

Can you take the glass cover off? Ive been running mh250w x 2 on my 55g never once had temperature issues but my room temp dont fluctuate roomtemp will also play a role

I would check prices online, I know my LFS is very helpful but also very high. I know there are group deals at bulk reef supply, I have also purchased equipment on ebay.

I can take it off but dust gets into the water :s plus the glass keeps the water from evaporating so fast. Do metal halides run up the electrical bill a lot?

Damped said:
I can take it off but dust gets into the water :s plus the glass keeps the water from evaporating so fast. Do metal halides run up the electrical bill a lot?

Not sure about electric bill but ive used mh for few years just bought some leds imo mh are better for sps leds maybe for lps but my acros do not like led

How many fixtures of the taotronics would I need?

Damped said:
How many fixtures of the taotronics would I need?

Mh also have higher uv which is better for sps so depends on corals you wanna keep

Damped said:
Dont want sps, mostly softies.

Then id go leds do a 60/40 blue/white ratio to make colors pop ebay has several 120w fixtures

Would one of these be okay or would I need 2 of them?

Attachments

• image-3836220791.jpg
    image-3836220791.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 49
Would you think this is good? It's $560. Looks really good and is made of stainless steel

Attachments

• image-1007317617.jpg
    image-1007317617.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 57
Damped said:
Would you think this is good? It's $560. Looks really good and is made of stainless steel

Looks good to me for lps id say ya

Just to give you an idea. I have a 40gal reef and for the past year I have been running 60 1watt LEDs and they have been growing softies and lps(frogspawn,hammer). My tank is only 16" deep though. I just bought a new 120watt 55 3watt LEDs with dimmers just so I can add some more light demanding corals. Good luck with your tank.

Back
Top Bottom