Mh 250 watt bulbs - 20,000k vs 14,000k

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have an Odyssea metal halide fixture that is currently running a 20,000k bulb it also has 2 24 watt t5ho with a 10000k and an antic (not very blue though). I think I need replace the mh bulb. The color is a little yellow.

It has 4 blue leds that work great at night but seem invisible during the day.

I want a more blue color but keep good coral growth. My coral is doing well so I'm cautious about messing with the lighting.

Would a 14000k bulb be a better choice for the mh replacement?

Is there anything I need to do to acclimate the coral to the replacement bulb so I don't shock them?

I'm also not happy with the t5 bulb selection I picked up. The antic is not very blue and the 10000 gives what the box calls a "deep water effect". What bulbs do you run?

Thanks.

What i suggest is the 14k bulb. No you will not have to acclimate corals with the bulb change. 14k will give you a nice ocean blue/white light.

As far as the T5's i would get 2 good actinic bulbs if you want more blue. The T5's are there for 'supplement lighting' this is almost always reserved for actincs as these will add blue and make colors pop more.

ATI makes great actinic T5's so i suggest looking into them.

Also on a side note halides and t5's generally need replaced about every 9 to 12 months. During the later life of the bulb the spectrum begins to change and you will loose color. By simply changing bulbs you will be impressed at the difference.

Am I looking for the ATI t5ho Blue Plus bulbs? Looks like the right ones but they have True Actinic 03 bulbs as well.

OscarFan76 said:
Am I looking for the ATI t5ho Blue Plus bulbs? Looks like the right ones but they have True Actinic 03 bulbs as well.

Your looking for the true actinic bulb from ATI

Strangely none of the lfs around here carry the ATI brand. I just ordered some off bulk reef supply.

OscarFan76 said:
Strangely none of the lfs around here carry the ATI brand. I just ordered some off bulk reef supply.

Yeah BRS is where i get mine too. Most lfs around here dont carry many bulbs or brands.

Back
Top Bottom