Mid fishless cycle, no sign of nitrites.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407108269.134626.jpg

To be clear that's what the rock is looking like. Any idea what the cat whisker like thing in the top left is? It gets longer every day....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407108353.777782.jpg

Rest of the live rock.

Another powerhead is already on order, definitely want that before fish come in. When you say a nutrient issue, should I be adding something to the tank? Using instant ocean with rodi water and other than live rock a shrimp and some fish food haven't really added anything....

Exactly. You added a shrimp and some fish food. There is your nutrients. If you put it in, you have to take it out either by filtration or by water changes.

I'm not seeing any cyano in those picks, it does look like a dusting of diatoms.
Well, maybe those light pink spots, but it could also be coralline. If it grows fast and if it looks like a "sheet", than cyano. If it looks like dust, diatoms.

IMO you should go ahead and do about a 75% water change then research which of the fish you want to get is the hardiest and start adding livestock.
Not to sure about the idea of adding snails and such this early, there is nothing for them to graze on so you will have to be concerned about specifically feeding them and that will impact the water quality negatively. You should wait at least 1-2 months after adding your desired fish stock before adding any critters classified as "clean-up crew".

I learned that the hard way. ;)

So add fish first then the cuc? I've always thought it was the opposite?

If that's the case would it be ok to add two small fish to the tank at this point? A percula clown and a small wrasse for example?

So add fish first then the cuc? I've always thought it was the opposite?

If that's the case would it be ok to add two small fish to the tank at this point? A percula clown and a small wrasse for example?

I don't see any reason why not if the tests are all good.
Just be sure to research and start with the hardiest species of the ones you want.

I would start with one fish and go from there.
In terms of a clean up crew, you don't NEED them. Hermit crabs and snails eat uneaten food, poop, and algae...depending on the type...but they still poop. They aren't an overwhelming solution or even needed. I keep some in my tank, but it is proper filtration and water changes that is your true clean up crew.

I would start with one fish and go from there.
In terms of a clean up crew, you don't NEED them. Hermit crabs and snails eat uneaten food, poop, and algae...depending on the type...but they still poop. They aren't an overwhelming solution or even needed. I keep some in my tank, but it is proper filtration and water changes that is your true clean up crew.

Would you agree about adding them a couple of months in rather than immediately?

Depends what it is eating. I wouldn't put algae grazers in right away. But a red legged hermit or two that will munch on uneaten food could go in same day as a fish.

Depends what it is eating. I wouldn't put algae grazers in right away. But a red legged hermit or two that will munch on uneaten food could go in same day as a fish.

then we agree. (y)
I mentioned waiting because he wanted to add snails right away, and there won't be much for them to eat.

Ok that makes sense. Could I do a hermit crab and one fish at the beginning safely?

The fish I plan to stock with are:

1 clownfish
1 wrasse
1 foxface
2 others that we haven't decided on.

Aside from that would like a few snails a shrimp and a hermit crab.

Any input on order?

I know the lo one wouldn't but previously on live aquaria I could have sworn I saw one that would. Now that I'm looking again I can't find it so perhaps I was mistaken...

So gents(and ladies), I think my cycle is officially complete. Apparently I hadn't been shaking the nitrate bottle quite enough previously, as when I shook it up for a while tonight and tested my nitrates are well over 20ppm. Ammonia zero and nitrite zero, perfect ph and salinity.

I will do two 50% water changes over the next week to get nitrates in check then plan to get the first fish this weekend!

Saturday is Fish Day

Did a 35% change tonight, got my nitrates down to about 10-20ppm(yeah they were really high once I figured out I had to shake the crap out of the bottle), PH is at 8.1ish, Salinity at 1.24, Nitrites zero, ammonia effectively zero(API test kits suck, but the water out of my tank looks more yellow then fresh saltwater mix).

I will do another 35-40% change tomorrow night, check all the levels Saturday morning and then head out to the lfs, which happens to be about 45 minutes away:banghead: .

Just to be extra cautious I may bring some sample water and ask the LFS to test it before I purchase some critters, but i'm thinking either one fish and one shrimp or two small fish. With all the bio load i've been dumping into this thing for the past few weeks without realize it was actually cycled i'm pretty confident it can handle it.

Thanks for all the help, i'll post some pictures of the the new tank inhabitants once I pick em!

I'm totally new to salt water/reef tanks...still trying to cycle mine properly. I recently brought home a livestock from a store and out of curiosity tested the water it was sent home with. I was shocked to see nitrates and phosphates through the roof!!! Mine have been hovering over the lower end on the scale but theirs were dark red and dark blue. It was from a tank with good looking coral and fish too, just makes u wonder.

And as far as stocking, I have two friends with the very pretty red scarlet colored shrimp(don't know the tech name), but they hide all the time. I've heard the skunk cleaner shrimp have much bigger personalities and they are still a very good looking addition to your tank with the two big red stripes down their backside & the giant white antenna.

I set up my tank about 45 days ago. I never saw nitrites once or even nitrate for that matter. I think your situation is fine. Look for diatom bloom and fall followed by green algae(that's what I experienced after week two testing all 0s across the board)

Yeah never saw nitrite. I'm thinking my cycle was different because I used a combination of live sand, and halfway cured live rock.

We will find out tomorrow if the fish live or die, I'm very nervous but also optimistic.

I was the same with the nitrites, then had a high nitrate spike, did a WC and was fine after that, just added my first fish this past weekend after a month is to my first tank! I added 4 chromis, only cause if it went south I wouldn't be out a bunch of $$$$, sad to say I went about it that way but didn't wanna take the risk, and so far it has been great, and watching them school is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom